TX
City
Acuff
If you could give me any input on this EMG/NCS

Ins Act, Amp, Dur, Int Pat were all Normal
1st Dorin on Right Arm had 1+ Fibs, 2+ PSW, and Reduced Recrt, 0 Poly, no Fasc
Pronator Teres right arm had 1+ fibs, 1+ PSW and every thing else normal
ExtDigCom right arm had1+ Fibs and PSw, 3+ Poly, normal everything else
Right Biceps and Triceps were normal all the way across, this is my dominant hand
Left 1stDorint had 2+ Fibs and Psw, reduced recrt, normal everything else
ExtDigCom showed +1 Psw, few fasc, 3+ Poly, and reduced recrt
Left Pronator Teres showed 1+ fibs and psw, normal all else
Left biceps showed 1+ psw and normal everything else
Right ant Tibilas showed 1+ Fibs and 2+Psw with reduced recrt
Right Gastroc showed 1+ PSW and reduced recrt, normal all else
Vastus Lat showed showed few fasc, normal all else
C5 Parasp showed 3+ Poly, Normal all else
C6 Parasp was all normal
T8 Parasp showed only 3+ Poly

Any ideas would be appreciated.

@texastracy:

Hi,

There is a user on these Forums who is an expert interpreting EMGs.
His user-name is: "Wright".

Since you still do not have enough posts (15, I believe) to be able to send PMs (Private Messages) I would suggest you to do a Forum Search and look for Wright, once you find him, you can leave a message on his Profile page requesting help with your EMG.

Good luck to you.

Did the neuro give you any idea of what the results mean?

Did the neuro give you any idea of what the results mean?

I was wondering the same thing.
Why hasn't she discussed these EMG results thoroughly with her Neuro?

Good catch.

My neuro doesn't want to until he gets the results from the MRI (w/ and w/o contrast) and the spinal tap they are doing on this Wednesday. I did find Wright in the members list and sent him the same message.

TLF

If you left a message to Wright on his Profile page , he should get back to you soon.

Good luck.

I had my 3rd done last week. The numbers are measures taken in units of 'palpitation" the needle your heart. nerve-let's call it demyelination- is indicated by numbers of 1 if you show palpitations that are under 5 (I THINK) then your level of nerve damage is still in the category of "mild". I can look that up and look at my own latest numbers because I was at 1 in 2010 and the number had gone up slightly by 2011. They didn't give me any details or show me the actual results-big shock there! The EMG last week was "essentially the same" and still considered mild neuropathy but, again, they shoved me out the door and I wasn't given the facts.

The only reason I have the details at all is that I go to the radiology or records office of UVA Medical Center and order a copy of my scans and medical records. I have DVDs of my MRIs and hard copies of the orders and findings of EMG and EEG procedures.

I am laying flat on back at the hospital right now. I had a spinal tap and MRI with contrast today. The radiologist said the MRI looked good with no signs of ALS. Even double checked it. Spinal fluid was clear colored though pressure was high.

Tracy

@texastracy:

Thanks for the update.
As you can see, you do NOT have ALS/MND which is by itself very good news for you, confirmed by your Doctors.

Take care and try to say off these boards for your own peace of mind.

I was not aware that they could determine als from an MRI, unless the MRI showed a problem that could explain the persons concerns. ( I could be wrong ). Did they find some problem with the MRI at all.:-?

Does ALS always show up on MRIs?

TF

Are you sure the doctor didn't say that the MRI was to check for MS?

I thought it showed up on EMGs (Lower Motor Neuron dysfunction) showing chronic and acute denervation and in the Clinical Exam looking for Hyperreflexia, Spasticity, Clonus,
Babinski, etc. (Upper Motor Neuron dysfunction).

MRI, detecting it would be new for me but...you also had a Spinal Tap, didn't you?
What the results for your Spinal Tap were?

Sometimes, MRI of the brain (parasagittal FLAIR) could demonstrate increased T2 signal within the posterior part of the internal capsule and can be tracked to the subcortical white matter of the motor cortex, outlining the corticospinal tract, consistent with the clinical diagnosis of ALS.

However, typically MRI imaging is unremarkable in a patient with ALS.

Regards,

It was done to rule put lots of things. My neuro said don't give up hope it could be MMN. My EMG results are at the top ofmy thread

When is your Neuro planning to discuss your EMG results with you?
That would be a very important step.

When you are at his office discussing the EMG with him, ask as many questions you deem necessary.
Do NOT leave his office until all your doubts and concerns have been clarified.
Is that clear?

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back