Reason
Other
Country
COL
State
Cundinamarca
City
Bogotá
I have been restraining myself from posting on an internet forum until i had all the medical info i needed help to moving foward with a diagnosis. i dont want to waste anyones time because i know a lot of people from this fórum are dealing with this horrible disease.

Im here on behalf of my father who is 61 and has being exhibiting what we though were motor neuron symptoms. It started with him having random falls and the failing of his legs, he said it felt like loosing strenght. He then started to had a really bad pain on his knee for what the orthopedist diagnosed atrophy in his leg behind the knee.

The Dr. ordered a emg of the 4 limbs, and mri of the lumbosacral and a lot of bloodwork. while we waited for the exams his walking got worse and its at a point where a cane would be useful (he refuses though, i think it hurts his ego).
He had the emg done with one of the best neuros in our country, who only does this exam.

To make the story short every test came back fine. so now we are wondering what could it be? this neuro didnt said anything in concrete so we are looking for another one. I was wondering if someone here could give me info on other diseases that cause atrophy so i can go informed to this new apt and ask for more specific tests.

Thank you very much and excuse my english but it isnt my native lenguaje and its even more difficult when trying to explain medical situations.

Does he have any symptoms in his upper extremities? Any trouble standing up on his toes or on his heels?

As far as conditions that cause atrophy in the legs other than ALS, I can think of a few. Arthritis in knees or on hips can be associated with atrophy as can circulatory problems (vascular insufficiency). Myopathies (disorders of muscle) can also cause atrophy. Some metabolic disorders and also malgnancies can lead to muscle wasting. ALS is just one of many conditions that can lead to atrophy, and probably one of the rarer ones.

Continue to work with his doctors on getting to the bottom of this. The normal EMGs really go against ALS. Good luck!

Hi Karen, and thank you for your reply. He doesn´t have a problem standing on his toes but he can't stand on his heels. Also, when sitting he cant raise his affected leg and has problems taking of his pants, for example.
According to his orthopedist he is starting to have some arthritis in his knee, but he said it was caused byt the atrophy, not the other way around.

About his upper extremities he doesnt have anything.

Thank you for your suggestions, im taking notes for when we see the newxt Dr.

Last edited:
I just wanted to make an update since i see a lot of people who are looking for answers about their symptoms and i think its important to see there are other things rather tan ALS that can cause muscle wasting and weakness on limbs.
My father was diagnosed with a meningioma atypical grade 2 brain tumor and that was causing his leg weakness and foot drop.

Anyways, i hope my Little thread looking for answers can help someone in the future; and i ppray for strenght to anyone suffering from the horrible disease als is.

Thank you for returning and letting folks on the forum know. I am sorry for all the worry and concern this has caused your family, and for your father's diagnosis. My hopes is that he receives excellent care, his treatment goes well and that he remains healthy after.

Best wishes

Best wishes to your dad, hope he gets better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back