Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
CA
State
Nova scotia
City
Porters lake
my husband feet are so cold to the touch they almost burn..how do i warm them up//does anyone know what comes next to the body?also he has a small pressure sore on hid behind .Can anyone reccommend a product to help clear this up.We are using a cushion and movin g as much as possible.i put polysporin on and am trying to keep it clean and dry.although tiny it is very painful/Thanks all.

wish I had a answer for you...

have you tried warming a towel in the drier and then wrapping around his legs? I know how comforting a warm towel is to me. do you have hospice helping you? I would ask them or call your doc about the bed sore.

First check to see if it is not an ingrown hair. If it is, use a tweezer and remove. My bff is neosporin. Works well and they even have neosporoin with pain reliever added to the mixture. Maybe wrap your pals in a fleece blanket. Rub the feet with lotion and try to keep the circulation moving. The towel idea is also good. Best wishes! Ask your doc for further suggestions.

Happy, I don't have any magic words of wisdom....all I can tell you is that Scott has the same issue as far as the amazingly cold feet----sometimes they feel like ice! The only thing I know to do at this point is to put a pair of socks on him each night....seems kind of silly, but it does seem to help. I bought him 12 pairs of really nice thick socks that don't bind his calves and he seems to sleep comfortable at night. Sorry I can't help with your the other issues, but I"m sure someone else with more experience will chime in! Take care--

Ruth

My PALS feet suffer with the cold. I massage them in the morning with a little cream just to get circulation going, then put a thin pair of socks on (trainer socks) which are a little big (too tight makes his feet even colder) I then put on a pair of thick hiking socks which are also a little loose.

After a shower, his feet are attended to first, dried and wrapped in a warm towel until they are completely dry then the double layer of socks go on. Trying to stop them getting cold in the first place is our plan.

As far as sores - we are lucky enough to have District Nurses who come in at any sign of a sore appearing and dress them with lightly padded dry dressings. For a very bad sore once that was open, they used something called an Atrauman dressing.

Thanks/I have been massaging his feet several times a day,wearing fuzzy warm socks wrapping then and i even have a little heater by his feet...taking it a day at a time!

How is the pressure sore doing? that should be looked at by a nurse--there are specific treatments for them depending on the level of the sore. They have 4 stages--and can be very dangerous if not cared for properly. And you're right--they are extremely painful. See if the doctor will prescribe some pain medication for him.

My pressure sore was on my heel--they put it in a special type of cast to keep it totally protected from the air. I was young--and relatively healthy--but almost lost my foot from it. They are that dangerous.

Definitely keep him off the area where the sore is until it's gone. Does he have an air mattress on the bed? they do make an alternating flow air mattress that's relatively inexpensive.

If the pulse in his feet is normal--then just the thick socks may help. If there is accompanying swelling in his feet--blood clots become a concern.

One day at a time :( Wish there was more I could offer.

Happy, we found a pair of fleece like slippers that had removal inserts in the sole that could be warmed in the microwave. The inserts were a bit of a pain to get back into the opening in soles but they did help greatly with the cold feet issue. They should be available in a Shoppers Home Health store. They are not any good for walking in, only for those in bed or sitting.

that sound grat..i will head to check it out!

I also have one foot that's incredibly cold at times. First, make sure that there's a pulse in his feet. I had some tests done and they decided that there was some sort of vascular spasms... since I'm not a doc, not sure exactly. But I do take a pill each morning which helps the circulatory system, and I guess also lowers blood pressure, which wasn't an issue with me.

Day to day warmth... soak in warm water, and wrap warm wet towels around foot to warm up... be careful not too hot. Keep foot elevated as much as possible. Get one of those machines that you stick your feet into to massage/jiggle them to increase circulation. I used to use the aromatic pillows that you put in the microwave, but broke down and just bought a small heating pad that I wrap around my feet at night.

I also took advice from Ann, who told me that she wore sheepskin lined boots year round, which I've been doing... at least until it hits 90°! I also use magnet insoles in my shoes which helps the swelling to stay down. As I sit here typing, I'm heading for bed in a few minutes to try to warm up my feet!

And here I thought it was just me. Its 90 degrees outside and everything below my knees is like ice. I have been using an electric mattress pad to keep my feet warm. I also have fleecey slippers. It would be nice if someone would massage my legs and feet.

Brookstone has a foot massager with heat that I want to get! helps the circulation as well...Mine are toasty right now, have the heating pad on them

I have a heated mattress cover and a heating pad that I use to warm mine up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back