Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
Hello all!

I have a question for you and if you can answer it I would really feel calm and be very grateful.

For about 2-3 months I've had muscle twitching on both my calfs nonstop. This happens in the inside of the muscle calf.

Now to the question. One day later I noticed that my right calf on the outside muscle of it is significantly smaller than the outside on the left, this has made me extremely worried!

My question is if I have muscle twitching and it happens on the inside of my calfs shouldnt these be affected first by atrophy because that's where I have the twitching.

And if this would be a muscle reduction, should I not feel weakness in this calf/leg? considering how much muscle there is missing..

I can go on my toes without problems, I can do 100 rep leg raises and the strength is the same on both calfs even the measurements are the same.

Should I be worried?? Thank you for your time to answer me!!

You should not be worried. Twitching, perceived weakness, perceived atrophy, indentations, etc do not signify ALS. If you don’t have muscle function failure, you don’t have ALS.

Please read the posted notes (stickies) at the top of this forum. and hopefully that will reassure you.

Thank you Karen!

I promise read them but couldnt find what iam really asking for.

Iam only wondering if Iam twitching in the inside of my calfs shouldnt they be affected first by that I mean muscle reduction should appear there because the outside of my calfs doesnt twitch at all. And if I lost almost all of my outer calf muscle shouldnt I atleast feel any weakness?

Thanks for your time and if someone else can give any answer I would appreciate it so much!

Please guys can you just calm me down Iam going crazy havent sleept in a while. Just tell me if Iam right or wrong about my questions.

A knowledge member of this forum did answer your questions. You do not present with ALS symptoms. See a doc to address what else might be causing your issues as it does not sound even remotely like ALS.
Tracy

No problem guys thank you for your time!

1. I only wanted to know if I had a big reduction on my outer calf wouldnt I notice it with a clear weakness.
2. If my twitching was lets say "dangerous" shouldnt it cause atrophy on the inside of my calf because thats where I get them only.

Just give me a yes or no on those question and you will never hear about me again.

Thank you so much for your time I really appreciate it =)

"Just give me a yes or no on those question and you will never hear about me again."

Please remember that the people here do not owe you more than they are willing to give. The folks here have ALS/MND or are caring for loved ones that do. You have been told to see a doctor and that your reported symptoms do not mean ALS by two experienced and knowledgeable members already. Any symptoms you feel you may have needs to be observed by a doctor before you will know what the problem is.

Atrophy in ALS happens because the muscle can no longer work. If you are not weak then you what you are seeing is not ALS. It probably is not atrophy either. No one is symmetrical. Only a doctor can tell you if it is atrophy. Twitches mean nothing. Keep your promise

Shiftkicker Iam sorry!

Karen so If the twitching was lets say "dangerous" shouldnt it cause atrophy in the place that twitches? Its strange because Iam almost sure that happens because of denervation and if it was clear atrophy shouldnt I feel a clear weakness because I can see a big diffrence in my outer calfes. Even Nikki stated that I should feel it.

Nikki I will trust your word that if it was real atrophy where my right outer calf is much smaller than my left I would def feel weakness.

Thanks for your time and Iam a man of my word, I will keep my promise hope that I didnt ask for much!

Hey, Aswertido. I can give you two more symptoms to add to your list. First, pretty bad anxiety. And second, really short memory. I thought you were leaving after that question?

So here's some input. I've never heard of "dangerous" twitching. We--dealing with ALS for years and discussing it with others who deal with ALS--are really adamant that the "twitching" business can just be ignored. Twitching, of any kind, is so common to so many conditions that it really isn't diagnostic of anything at all. Forget about the twitching. Healthy people twitch. The biggest twitchers are people who are stressed out.

Karen answered the dangerous twitch question with a "no."

As Nikki said, weakness is the big deal in ALS. AFTER a muscle has been weak--laying useless, unused, unable to move itself for some weeks or months, THEN the muscle tends to flatten out, lose its tone, shrink, and become atrophied. People ask us about atrophy all the time and send us pictures, but never actually have any atrophy to speak of. People change from time to time for different reasons--it's not atrophy. Only a doctor can say if you actually have atrophy.

Four of the most knowledgeable people in the world (no kidding) have considered your situation and they're reassuring you that you don't have ANY reason to be thinking about ALS. It ain't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back