Other
Country
UK
State
Merseyside
City
Liverpool
Hi everybody,

Firstly I'd like to say that this is a fantastic website and truly shows how the internet can close distance issues and create a caring worldwide community. I have some issues that I would appreciate everybody’s feedback on. I have gone through the READ FIRST thread and is very informative but I feel that I have issues that weren’t touched on.

For me, I started having health anxiety in May 2016 after I suddenly got struck with dizziness. I played football with friends and afterwards felt a tight feeling in my chest for about three days. On the third day I started looking into possibilities from Dr Google and just got hit with instant dizziness. So my wife and I went to the hospital (thinking it was heart related). Three ECGs later and my heart was absolutely fine but I was left with dizziness for weeks. It was a light-headed fogginess rather than ‘room spinning’ dizziness. I had your typical blood checks from the docs and all came back clear. My doctor put it down to anxiety.

At this point, I started panicking that it was MS. So much so that my doctor actually gave me an MRI in July to cure my anxiety. It came back clear. The dizziness came and went and I just put it down to anxiety. However, in mid-October, I started getting small localised dull aches all over my body. I would have an ache in my shoulder, then 10 minutes later it would go to my calf and so on. This remained until early January.

Then I had something happened that really scared me. Something that developed in literally 24 hours, I developed joint aches all over my body. More severely in my right wrist and left ankle. Even the joints in my fingers ached. Furthermore, larger muscle groups started to ache. My soleus (front lower leg) and my forearm muscles ached. However, they didn’t ache to the touch (like after a workout). I had further blood tests to look into arthritis etc but all bloods came back clear. After a week of this all joint and large-muscle ache subsided and has gone (strange).

What stemmed since then is muscle issues in my right leg and right arm. I had a strange, concerning sensation in both of these. My leg would feel jelly-like and weak-feeling. The closest I can describe it is how muscles feel after pins and needles. The most concerning is my right arm. Now my right arm gets tired very quickly. I notice this when washing my hair, brushing my teeth and cooking (eg. Stirring sauce). The has gotten me really concerned.

In addition to my arm, my current situation is strange cramps and twitches. I get the classic ‘bubbling’/cramps all over my body everyday all the time. They last for no more than a second but I’m especially concern my because it’s all over my body. For instance today I’m getting the bubbling in my face, then it’ll go to my neck, then ‘bam’ in my calf. I've also had numbness and pins and needles feelings in my right heel and finger tips that comes and goes. It’s been happening for a week. Thrown into the mix is I also get ringing in my ears that I've had for a while now

I’m extremely scared, especially as my wife and I have our first child on the way.

I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch of information out. I appreciate any feedback that I receive.

Cheers, Ben

Last edited:

At this point, I started panicking that it was MS. So much so that my doctor actually gave me an MRI in July to cure my anxiety. It came back clear.

Was the Dr a GP (or whatever they are called there) or a Neurologist?

Since you suspected MS I assume the MRI was of your head and spine and not just your brain?

Also, could you please explain 'bubbling' cramps...

Hello Ben, your problems don't sound anything like ALS to me. I think maybe stress, keep working with you family doctor, and I suggest that you stay way from Doctor Google.
Al

Was the Dr a GP (or whatever they are called there) or a Neurologist?

Since you suspected MS I assume the MRI was of your head and spine and not just your brain?

Hi preacherman,

The doctor was a GP (general practitioner) and not a neurologist. I'm yet to see a neurologist as they are trying to rule out as much as they can before I become an expensive patient (understandably). As far as I am aware it was just a brain scan. The guy who ran the scan, who is not a radiographer, said he ran an ultra sensitive sclerosis scan. Whether than means he knew he was looking for head and spine I'm not sure. I just got back 'all clear'. I'll look into whether it was brain or head and spine but I remember the scan being shoulders upwards that's for sure. What difference does this make (out of curiosity)?

Also, could you please explain 'bubbling' cramps...

When I get these it feels like my muscles are 'bubbling'. Sometime it will bubble for a few seconds but mostly it will 'bubble' or 'pop' for a second or two. It's not painful, achy or cause any tightness of any kind. Sorry to use bubbling as a word, it's the only word I have to describe it.

The 'bubbling' or fasciculation is occurring 'all over'...
Unusual for a MND to attack the whole body at once... at least at first. I would think that if they were anything they would be more localized.
Though I get them all over at times, it seems to be more common for just one specific muscle to twitch pretty steady for days.

'Pins and needles' are also a good sign... at least as far as MND is concerned.

As far as the MRI... he apparently knew specifically what he was looking for, but typically the demyelination which is indicated in MS is more evident in an MRI of the spine.

The 'bubbling' or fasciculation is occurring 'all over'...
Unusual for a MND to attack the whole body at once... at least at first. I would think that if they were anything they would be more localized.
Though I get them all over at times, it seems to be more common for just one specific muscle to twitch pretty steady for days.

'Pins and needles' are also a good sign... at least as far as MND is concerned.

As far as the MRI... he apparently knew specifically what he was looking for, but typically the demyelination which is indicated in MS is more evident in an MRI of the spine.

Thanks Preachman,

When you say twitch do you mean contraction or fasciculation? And when you say steady, do you mean for longer occurrences (for instance, twitch for minutes/hours at a time?). I also had one in my lip and under my chin earlier.

Just to ask, because I try and limit my research due to anxiety, pins and needles being a 'good sign' that it is or is not MND?

Again, I appreciate your replies.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear... pins and needles do NOT sound like MND.....it is a good sign against.

The twitching... like there will be a muscle that twitches briefly once every ten or fifteen seconds all day long. I would call this more of a fasciculation than a contraction.

From looking quickly fascinations do sound like what I tried to describe as bubbling.

Would what I described about my leg or arm indicate anything towards MND? Also with my random joint pain that came and went

Last edited:
The symptoms in your arm or leg, just like random fasciculation, could be any number of things;
but the random joint pain.... typically any joint pain directly associated with ALS would be due to additional stresses on your joint because of the loss of muscle supporting the joint- something that would not come and go.

Thanks.

I'm concerned about my tiring arm though

Yeah... I wouldn't be too worried about it being any indication of MND, but I would certainly keep after them until you have some firm answers.

Every single symptoms you described can all occur to a person with severe anxiety or stress. I have experienced every single on of them and have suffered from anxiety. I would see a psychiatrist a.s.a.p. or a counselor. You absolutely don't have any symptoms at all related to ALS. You may have a minor health issue on top of your anxiety but I personally don't think so. I think you need to get counseling. Spend time getting things ready at your home for your new baby. Keeping your mind busy might help. You don't belong on this forum because you absolutely don't have ALS. Please reframe from posting anymore because we already responded several times. You are just stressing yourself out over something you don't have. Wasting your time and ours. Pleae for your own sanity and well-being for your wife log off and spend time with her. Best of luck with the new baby.

No ALS here in your descriptions, and I suspect in the end no serious medical issue at all. Take care of yourself and stay far away from Dr. Google.

Thank you Kim, I sometimes need that brutal talking to. I was worried with my constant fasciculations and arm and leg tiring. I am booked in to see a therapist but the wait is long here on the NHS so considering going private.

Thank you Lenore.

Ben Hayward

Briony,

I would like to contribute as I too reluctantly came onto this site with severe ALS fear (it still occupies an area of my mind each day however).

Anxiety. The 'A-word' is so strong. SO much stronger than I think you even realise. I've suffered with Health Anxiety since May last year (recently diagnosed) - it takes over your life which is happening to you right now. I've lost so much weight to it as my appetite has lessened. It's strange, it can gradually happen with stress, or you can merely get struck with it in an instance when shopping in Sainsburys (what happened to me). I fell to the ground when looking for milk and suffered with dizziness and SO many symptoms since (eg. shakes, numbness, vision issues). Symptoms so bad, I ended up having an MRI of my brain for a huge self-scare with MS. It was clear. Since October I've suffered with muscle aches, joint pains and weakness

I've been to see so many different doctors, I've had every blood scan under the sun. Nothing. Now, blood tests don't clear you of MND in any shape way or form but the next step is neuro as the doctors have exhausted all avenues. This tells me the chances of having MND are very very unlikely.

You suffer with the same health anxiety as me, the only anxiety that can be cured from a professional categorically telling you that you don't have it, especially coming from a medical background yourself. My right arm and hand feel very weak....FEEL weak...ALS isn't a 'feeling' condition, as has been pointed out by numerous members.

It took me a lot of effort to stop myself searching too much. You need to have faith in our professional GPs, nobody else has more experience in dealing with these things. You think they're not examining you properly but believe me they know exactly what to look for. You also need to be careful with how many times you book yourself in. You don't want to be known as 'the anxiety girl'. They trust each others medical opinions.

Without babbling on too much you keep mentioning the wait for a neuro is going to be too long on the NHS. Well, I suggest an investment to privately see one will be a worthy one, especially with your wedding coming up. On top of that, call your GP and have them refer you to their CBT. I have been referred but my wait is 8 months as I am a severe case. Fortunately, there give you log-in details to tackle a medium anxiety severity course in the mean time and call me up once a week. I am still considering seeing a neuro privately myself.

You need to be respectful on this forum Briony. A lot of people have said it is highly unlikely you don't have it and time and time again have offered their opinions with the advice to seek medical help. Unfortunately, people on this forum do have the disease and/or have lost loved ones to it. I suggest you join the forum 'no more panic' which is an anxiety forum. You will find people on there who have had ALS scares with symptoms that match yours and worse. Do not underestimate anxiety. Seriously. I've gone through the exact same thing as you and am still going through it.

Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back