Status
Not open for further replies.

Ontario caregiver

Just read the assisted suicide post and found it sad, one because a love one wants to die and the other has to feel guilty for the love one.

As a caregiver I am always glad that I have helped Gary though all stages,( gary has had ALS for over 8 years probably more like 11 years). He has problem with breathing and is on his bi-pap 24/7. He had talked about having a higher morphine pump at the later stages when his breathing became more than he could bear, as explained to him this would put him into a sleep mode and gradually he would die. What is hard is just the same as assisted suicide, as you know the outcome. I guess what I am trying to say is it is so sad for the caregiver, in my case I support Gary but to be coming closer to this stage of the disease I find it emotional, and at the same time selfish to let him go. I am also so tired and hate this disease that my greatest fear is how will I feel when it is over. Will I be releived of all the stress of caring and caring and caring or will I hate myself because I am tired and regret some days of all the caring and caring I have given.
Well this was my day to type and type and type, but I will always be glad to have done what I could for Gary and I only wish him the best, so today is important and what tomorrow brings is still far away.

Sorry for my sad writing, but today was just a hard one when Gary said it will be soon to call the doctor to proceed with the pump, but you know tomorrow IS ANOTHER DAY and his breathing may adjust a bit better, and life will go on.

Thanks for listening

Hi Ontario caregiver. I am sorry this is happening to both of you. This is why I say ALS affects everyone in the family in such awful ways. I bet your husband is greatful for the sacrifices you are making on his behalf, which is more than a lot of spouses can manage. You are lucky to have each other. Cordially, Cindy

Last edited:
Hi Ontario caregiver.

I echo Cindy's words. You are caught between a rock and a hard place, but here is the thing. As you work with your husband, love yourself too and give yourself the comfort you deserve in knowing you are handling a extremely unbelievably hard situation. I hope you get some respite care and have some time to nurture yourself, knowing it only makes you stronger for your husband's sake. God Bless you, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back