I want to keep my fingers straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marta sorry you are experiencing this...sounds like hand stretches is the best. Tomorrow I am going to pt to learn range of motion exercises which should help keep flexable. Kisses to your hands....

My right hand especially middle finger is curling in...have pt appointment Friday for weak neck muscles. Fun,fun.

Thanks everybody! I will keep all you say in mind while working with the PT and OT. I'll keep them relatively straight by hook or by crook. Well, not by hook or crook but you know. Whatever it takes.

Good luck Becky!

Prevention is the key here, Miss Sweety Pie. With contractures, the tendons, muscles, and ligaments literally shrink. So once this happens, the only way to reverse it (and it isnt always a possibility) is to have surgery to have these tendons and things cut. Im sure you'll know what to do after you talk with your peeps. Love u

Thanks my Liz. I've been doing stretching exercises for carpel tunnel. Hopefully that will keep them pretty limber. It just looks weird. Like RA without the knottyness. Fingers every which way. :) No pain as of yet though!

Mine hurt like heck :(

kisses for susans fingers

What cracks me up is the only finger that's straight on my right hand is my middle finger! :lol:

Ms Pie is this an unconscious decision lol. Just kidding.

I have noticed that when I walk my right arm seems to just cling my body but my my fingers are curled. Maybe I am a bit behind you in progression. I do notice that my right hand seems more comfortable when I sit if my fingers are curled. Maybe I should stop doing that.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

My badly curled finger does hurt now...I think more frequent attempts to straighten the others would be helpful, if it was done.

Ann, do you have physical therapy? Can you make a request?

Ann, if you don't have PT regularly, they can show your caregiver how to do the passive range of motion exercises. Also, there are some simple braces that aren't too terribly expensive to help keep your fingers straight and hopefully less painful.

We teach our students how to do range of motion--and for the hand, it's simply opening all the fingers and making fists gently--as this bends all the joints of the fingers. Only a doc or PT can say how many times a day this should be done.

If they aren't though, a PAL is at risk for painful contractures when the joints stiffen and the tendons and ligaments shrink from disuse--which is painful. They can be released with surgery--but we all know surgery is not good for a PAL.

They should have CAL classes in ALS clinics to teach them the basics of PT. CALS are sort of tossed into the job with no training and those that haven't found this forum are most likely like a fish out of water trying to figure out what to do and how to do it.

The Mayo Clinic website has a slideshow demonstrating ROM for arthritis in the hands. The photos will give you a good idea of the motions that your fingers need to be put through. If only one hand is affected you may use the other to put the affected hand and fingers through their paces. Just remember to support the wrist.

I would put my husband's hand on a peice of foam- with a little cusion near palm and/or we used hand brace from Target

Yes, my PT & OT (love those ladies a bunch) said something like that Jodi. They said something to keep them slightly curled in a comfortable position. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back