Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado
Several of my fingers are beginning to distort/curl under. I begin pt and ot in a couple weeks and I'm sure they'll help me out but I thought it might be helpful to me and others if I knew what tricks you're using. What do you do, if anything, to keep your fingers straight?

Thank you in advance! ;)

Hi there,
Several of my pals fingers did the same. I remember reading at the time that some members had tried splints overnight which seemed to help. I think Al has some photos on his profile.....PT taught me range of motion exercises for the hands. We discovered that if we did them twice a day they helped with the pain that went with the curling and I think also helped right the curling. But at another moment exercises were not so possible and straight was not a possibility despite best efforts, then we used little mits that slipped into hand to bring support and comfort to the hand in its new found shape. The PT sourced these for us. Good luck.

Hi my A woman! It's good to see you. xoxo!

Marta, OT prescribed finger braces for me. They are pliable plastic, flesh colored and fit over your knuckle to keep it from bending inward. They are hardly noticeable and work pretty well for me. I wear them during the day but not during the night. Good luck!

Yay Avril's back!
The same for me Marta. My left index is giving me fits. I stretch the fingers back several times a day.

What cracks me up is the only finger that's straight on my right hand is my middle finger! :lol:

Thank you, Marta for this discussion! I have one curled which is very painful when I try to force it to open. Another inch before it turns into my hand. I'll look at Al's picture! I miss you, dear Avril!

Thanks so much for your welcome. You're so good to me. Dianne, your system sounds good. The curling in can be very painful I think. Time for your significant others to show their love by moving all the intricate muscles in each finger very gently very regularly methinks!

My hands are useless but when I noticed I was going to have a problem I told the family to always place my fingers straight so far they have remained that way. You see my mother had fallen hurt her arm and quit using it, it wasn't long until her hand curled.
I have a girl that comes in everyday she massages my hands then she makes a fist. I don't have a pt that comes in the one time they came they showed me a few range of motion to do it was like it was a waste of her time

Hmm...can someone have a little talk with your "helper" Caldona?

I am sorry I meant my helper makes a fist using my hands she works with them until my hands will close

I keep my husband's hands flat on the arm rests of the recliner, while he is in it. While in bed, I place the pillow so that it is sort of diagonal. Then I place one arm with hand flat under the pillow and the other on top the same. This seems to be working pretty well, for now. He won't wear hand splints.

Marta, so sorry they are doing this.
And about that right hand, think we had this discussion before, and you told me to use it to my advantage...remember..lol...So far I can after awhile uncurl them if they dont do it both at once.. Just afraid everytime they will be permanent, so far not.

I will be Praying for You. ((HUGS))

Hi Marta

One of the best range of motion exercises is to have someone gently make your fingers in to a fist and back several times a day--this will help keep the joints working properly--even when the muscles don't, and will help prevent contractures.

As others said--there are also splints that can be used to keep fingers in a natural neutral position. Many with no use of hands keep them from contractures with something as simple as a folded washcloth in their fist when sleeping.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this :(

my pals uses had splints/braces at night. his are covered in fabric and have three straps that velcro. his hands lay flat on his armrests of the wc when up. the tips of his fingers curl under a bit, but he doesnt complian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back