Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
South
City
City
Hello,

My name is Sara, I'm 24 years old and I have been experiencing weird symptoms. It started in late April - early May, I was eating a gummy bear (very small) and I chocked on it. My airway was completely blocked. I started to be more careful, chew more, have plenty of water but no matter what I do it feels like I can't swallow right. My speech has gotten worse (English is my second language) and now I sound drunk. It's very hard to pronounce words now.. People are always asking me to repeat myself. The other symptom started in late September, I started getting tingling/numb sensations on my head, my face, random parts of my body, it feels like electric shocks or goose bumps. I didn't start worrying until about a month ago when I started having fasiculations all over my body. Small but noticeable spasms or "fluttering" on my back, butt, legs, hands, eyes, just everywhere! I have them all day everyday. I'm having cramps too now, I can't stretch without getting a cramp. I get cramps in the middle of the night (legs) and I get cramps on my back too. I feel like I'm getting worse because sometimes when I drive my arms feel really heavy and its hard to lift things.

I have insurance but to what doctor should I go to? What should I say ? I'm afraid the doctor will write me off as crazy or anxious :(

Please read all the stickies in this thread. To start, go see your GP. Give him your list of symptoms and let him do a good exam. He can then order the appropriate tests and point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Do exactly as momap53 suggests. Contact your regular doctor and tell him everything you have told us here. God bless you and take care of you!

All of those symptoms for 8 months and you haven't gone to the Dr yet?! Who cares if your Dr thinks you're crazy and anxious! Please go to the Dr and get a medical opinion, ASAP.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound mean. I just meant that his job is to help you. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

It doesn't sound like ALS but get thee to a doctor post haste! You health is nothing to mess around with! Get off the internet and in to the doctor now!

does not sound like als but given your age and sensory symptoms ms comes to mind,you do get muscle twitching in ms.
you need to see a neurologist to get checked out,especially as you have slurring which is noticed by others and can also be caused by ms along with heaviness of limbs.
please make that appointment after the holidays.

Go to your primary care doctor and let him/her decide who, if anyon, you need to see next. One piece of advice -- don't mention ALS unless you want your doctor to write you off as crazy. From what you've posted here, ALS should be way off the radar scope.

sara,i should say i dont mean to scare you with my last post.
many have percieved speech problems but if others think you sound drunk you really should get it checked.

A friend of my Mom's chocked on something one time, and ended up getting it stuck somewhere in her throat... she didn't realize it was for a while, and it ended up having to be surgically removed. She had an awful time swallowing for a long time before they realized what was going on. Get to a doc to get yourself checked out. And have your Vit. D and B12 levels checked as well.

You have gotten great advice here. The good news is it does not sound like ALS. To find out what it is go see your primary care Dr and allow him / her to figure out what is going on.

Good luck!

Hi i was wondering did you ever find out what was wrong with you? hope you are doing well.. im new to this :)

numbness/tingling is sensory. ALS doesn't affect sensory tracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back