Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
District of Columbia
City
Washington, DC
Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read this-- I'm really, really scared, and can't emphasize how grateful I was to have found these forums.

Yesterday morning, around 11 AM, I was standing in a hallway at work talking to a colleague. It was then that I noticed that both my legs-- the calfs, specifically-- felt really weak. Like they just couldn't support my weight as well as they normally do.

In addition, there were subtle but noticeable muscle spasms in my calfs as well. Almost like they were shivering from cold, except they weren't. Between this and the weakness, they felt generally shaky and as though I had to work a little harder to stay standing.

It lasted about 20-30 minutes then dissipated.

But then, this morning, I woke up and my calfs were sore and stiff. They felt exactly as though I had just run 10 miles, or worked them out somehow.

I have no explanation for these symptoms, and it's the first time I can recall anything like this happening. I started Googling around, and the first thing that popped up was ALS. Needless to say, I became very scared very fast. The way WebMD describes the onset of ALS seems pretty close to my experience.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Does this sound like the beginnings of it?

I'm scheduling a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but I'm pretty worried, so I'd love any feedback you could offer. If it's relevant at all, I'm a 28 year old female, healthy otherwise.

Hi
That sounds nothing at all like my onset or any I have ever heard of. As it says in the stickies it is not what you feel that is a first symptoms it is what you can't do. Please see your physician as planned but forget about ALS
Good luck

Does not sound like onset of ALS. I'm sure you physician will reassure you.

Nikki,

I really can't thank you enough for responding. I read your reply a dozen times last night, and it was the only thing that allowed me to get any sleep. It takes a lot of compassion to respond to strangers in need, and I'm really grateful. I hope you're right it isn't ALS, and also hope for the best for you moving forward.

Waiting to see if anyone else chimes in now.

Thanks Dusty! Every assurance from this forum lets me rest a little easier. Still seeing my doctor next week, of course.

Thank you again, I can't overstate how helpful your response is. You guys are fantastic people.

You absolutely have no reason to fear that you have ALS at this point. You are in a panic for no reason. Read all the stickies again. Keep your doctor's appointment. He will find out what is going on. You will be just fine. Stay off of Dr. Google and here until after you see a doctor otherwise you are just creating anxiety for yourself. Good luck!

Thank you Skipper. It was so kind of you to take the time to respond. It genuinely helped.

I'm not normally a panicky hypochondriac; it's just such a bizarre occurrence, and when I looked up the leg weakness/shakes and sore muscles, ALS was the first thing Dr. Google have me. That, and MS.

You guys are getting me through the day. Thanks again.

Not ALS. Sounds systemic unless you overdid some exercise or athletic pursuit. Grab some OJ while you wait for your blood work. Best of luck.

Well -- Several of us have tried to share our experience with you and your fears.

The consensus seems to be that you need to resolve your issues with medical professionals and/or do not have ALS.

We do empathize with your fears, but there is no more we can help you with at this time.

This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just not on this forum.

You asked, we answered, so please move on.

If you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. Make sure you tell your medical practioner what you are feeling as well as how you are feeling.

No need to reply. Goodbye and best regards.

-----
Max
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

I know this has been somewhat resolved, but from someone else who is concerned, I know there's no such thing as too much reassurance!

What you described sounds exactly like what I experience with high anxiety. It might not have been conscious at the time.

And like everyone else said, it sounds exactly like NOT ALS.

Feel good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back