Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
East Providence
I am a 21 year old nervous wreck. Please help me because I'm at a point where I cannot sleep or eat correctly or stop looking for weakness throughout my body.

OK, so this all started on April when I started having numbness on the left side of my face(more apparent in the forehead.) It wasn't really a numb sensation, but more of a tightness. My face would also twitch below the chin/throat area. I thought nothing of it besides the fact I was having a mini stroke, so I bothered the ER to setup a primary care doctor. So that happened and the primary care doctor thought nothing of it. So I was no longer worried and shrugged it off.

Near the end of April, maybe the 29th or so, I stretched my right foot and it began to twitch below the ankle. It was really annoying(twitching till I sleep) and I thought, again, nothing of it. About two days later my left foot started twitching; after this, I started getting twitches all over my body.

This is when I started to get worried/curious because I never had these issues before. So I probably did the worst thing in my entire history of life by going on... oh boy... *gulps*... Google; THERE I SAID IT! I started looking up "numbness on left side of face and twitching on body" and I came across neuron diseases, specifically MS(Multiple Sclerosis.) I also came across Parkinson's and, of course, ALS.

At the time, early May, I didn't really look into ALS, but rather MS and Parkinson's. MS got my attention because of the "numb" sensation I was getting on my face, and even getting a heavy type of feeling on the left side of my body(forgot to mention, but oh well.) I was accepting MS and not too worried because the condition is more of an annoying disease rather than a fatal one(same for Parkinson's.)

So... in late May... something happened. I started to not feel the same. For example, my muscles started to feel stiff, and the twitches were continuing throughout my body(they come and go, not consistent to one particular spot.) That's not what caught my attention, however; I woke up one morning and began to talk to my online friends, vocally. Everything that came out of my mouth felt like the air was vibrating. As if my vocal cords are not... "steady." My jaw and words just felt so shaky as if I can't say anything "steady-like." My lips, nose, and throat twitches here and there, and then disappear to only reappear another random day. I also realized that when I talk, I tend to take a breath after a few sentences, and sometimes I'd sound like I'm taking Ritalin. I would also stop to swallow or to cough. Then up till last week, June 3rd or 5th, my jaw and tongue started to ache, as if I've been clenching my teeth and as if my tongue has been flexing or exercising(sore feeling.) The aches seem to get worse or triggered when I rest my tongue on the roof of my mouth, and when my jaw is rested on the top set of my teeth. I then had a followup sensation that feels like there's mucus or saliva in my throat that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how much I cough or gargle or even swallow. This is strange because I can still swallow liquids and chew/eat solid & mushy foods; I can also hit my high notes and talk pretty loud. At times I can talk pretty fast without interruptions, but the soreness continues. If I try to open my mouth even a little, it feels like my mouth or jaw is wobbling just slightly. This also adds; when I talk, I sometimes find that my mouth or... something... jerks back, interrupting my speech.

With all of this said, I looked up Bulbar Onset, and before I get an EMG done which is scheduled for July 6, I want to know your opinions on my symptoms; is this... ALS? I'm scared because I'm 21 years old and I haven't really contributed to life, and it has been over 70 years of this disease with no cure or even effective treatment that slows the disease to extend life further. Knowing these facts, I feel during the stages of my disease(if I have it,) I won't be alive to see the cure. I'm running a business as an entrepreneur, and I want to see it grow and live the big dreams I have of which I might not be able to see(my work relies on the computer; game developer.)

This is all so funny because, even if I do have it, I'm scared but not scared at the same time. I feel like anxiety would vanish after knowing I have it. I would also be comfortable because I love Steven Hawking, and it would be pretty rad but not rad if he and I had the same disease.

ALIAS NAME: Zroomy :)

Did you read the stickies at the beginning of this forum section?
They explain the official stand of experienced members on this forum. You won't get a different answer to your questions than what is answered there. Doctors really are the best people to speak to about health anxiety, as the people here will have no further info.

I wish you well on your visit with the doctor.

Sorry, but I should have added that I did read the sticky. I am just trying to settle my mind by having opinions from people with ALS.

Zroomy, there is nothing in your post that indicates ALS. I can't even imagine what misinformation brought you here.

That's very relieving to hear. I was just worried that I have early symptoms of Bulbar Onset ALS. I'm not sure if the soreness around my mouth is from nervous shock or just experiencing something completely different than ALS(perhaps MS?)

Sorry, but I should have added that I did read the sticky. I am just trying to settle my mind by having opinions from people with ALS.

The sticky was written by us - people with ALS so you already have our opinion.

Here is a great site that would suit your situation far better as coming here again is going to be very bad for your health. All the best.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/

BTW please be polite and remove from your profile that you were diagnosed in 1995, I'd imagine that's when you were born lad.

The sticky was written by us - people with ALS so you already have our opinion.

Here is a great site that would suit your situation far better as coming here again is going to be very bad for your health. All the best.

Anxiety Zone Forums, Blogs & Support Groups - Index

BTW please be polite and remove from your profile that you were diagnosed in 1995, I'd imagine that's when you were born lad.

Will do :)

BTW
So sorry, but I would like to add to the list of symptoms; I cannot bend my right pinky without bending my middle finger and my right pinky feels still and is less flexible than my left. I feel it is also weaker, and I realize that when I make a fist on my right hand, there is a decent sized dimple on my Ulnar palm. My left hand does not have this. I can still squeeze my hand hard, but after squeezing as hard as I can, I get twitches. My right pinky is just bending constantly, and I'm not sure if it's related to computer work like Ulnar Nerve entrapment or ALS. Any suggestions?

No suggestions, because we're not doctors and so it would be irresponsible of us to diagnose you. But we know ALS pretty well, and you don't have it.

Zroomy, we have a lot of people dealing with this terminal disease, many of them are completely paralyzed and can only move a few or no muscles. It would be polite of you to take your questions elsewhere, perhaps to a doctor.

Time to leave son, still no ALS, please don't keep adding things you feel when the sticky covered it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back