Reason
Other
Country
Us
State
Il
City
Springfield
Okay, so this is a bit of a long read so I'm sorry about that. I'd also like to apologize because I know that replying if you do maybe difficult for some of you so I greatly appreciate it. I'm 20 years old. I know, the chances of me getting ALS are super rare but I need advice from someone that will listen. So for the past 2 years I have been training to join the Marine Corps. But maybe 3 months before I was going to leave which was about a year ago one day I realized I wasn't able to run anymore without my calves feeling like they are dying. This raised some eyebrows since I was training constantly. Then it turned into a Constant state of my calves feeling like they were dying. Numbness, aches, it just wasn't right.

Then it turned into me not even being able to lift my hands above my head without them feeling like I just held them up there for 20 minutes after 10 seconds. My legs are feeling like they are getting worse and I think I have atrophy in my legs. I think, honestly I don't know if my legs have gotten smaller but I can't find proof or not. But I used to have nice legs it was my thing.

So, on top of this being about a year in and no one believing me that something is wrong I look up my symptoms and it brought me here a month ago. My body never had twitching (that I noticed) but as soon as I read it here my legs and biceps started twitching that I noticed. Honestly it could be just because I read it here I'm not sure. I know this seems crazy and probably angers a lot of people that have ALS and I'm terribly sorry, but I need advice from someone. I don't have insurance so I can't see a doctor which makes things even harder so really you guys are all I have for advice. Thank in advance for those that reply.

Also, just to add it's not just my arms now. My legs my arms, abs everything is weak. I'm just weak all over now. I also was not able to leave for the Marine Corp because I was not able to meet the physical needs that they needed me to be at.

N, you can see a doctor without insurance. Do some Googling and you will find free and sliding scale (cash discounts) clinics in your city. They can't do everything but they can weigh in on whether something is really wrong. If so, they can help you with Medicaid or whatever you need to seek specialty care.

Best,
Laurie

You are in a state with expanded medicaid. If your income is less than 133 percent of poverty line you are eligible If so apply.

If your income is higher there is still time to sign up for an ACA plan ( until January 31). You are eligible for subsidies on a sliding scale until your income is 400 percent of poverty. Get insurance. If you make too much for medicaid don't wait because the sign up period for subsidized plans will be over.

I don't know what your problem may be but you need to sort it out and get on with your life and you need insurance to cover you while you find out. I would not think of ALS at this point but something needs fixing and medical tests are not cheap. Free care and sliding scale might get you started but the clock is ticking if you are in ACA income range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back