Reason
Other
Country
US
State
tx
City
el paso
On August 25, 2014, my symptoms started. After coming home from work, my left tricep and left forearm began twitching. I also had a restless feeling all over my body, high anxiety, and a few other stress related symptoms. Now before you go saying that its stress related, please finish reading.
The twitching did continued the following evening, but it spread to other areas: calves, thighs, abs, etc. For about a week, i had these symptoms: twitching, a feeling of weakness in my left arm and left leg, lump in throat feeling, trouble talking and eating. I also had internal vibrations (which i have read are not ALS, but please read on), my body would suddenly jerk, and i also felt short of breath.
I went to a neurologist thinking i would find peace of mind and comfort, but i did not. He was dismissive and short with me; i assume it was because i did not fall under the typical ALS criteria, as I am 29 years old and 'healthy', according to him. He performed no real neurological exams, which is why I am still worried. He put me on 1 mg of clonazepam 2 hour before bed time because he said it was all related to stress, anxiety, and sleeplessness.
After being on the medication, my internal tremors went away, my sleep improved, and i felt less anxious. This is where my stress and worry still linger...why on earth, if what i am going through is supposedly stress related, have all of the other symptoms gone away except the twitching, the clumsy tongue, and the feeling of weakness?
I twitch sporadically, all over, but mainly in my left forearm and left side arm, in general. I am scared because i read that most often, in MND cases, one can make a muscle twitch by flexing it or stretching it; which is what i ca do with my left forearm and other left sided muscles.
As i said before, i am really scare, and tired of this limbo state in which i find myself.
If you feel you can inform me, contribute to my situation, or in any way help, please respond.

Also, some of my symptoms are worse on some days...its as if they come and go ( i read in ALS nothing comes and goes, it just stays, plateaus, or progressively worsens), but twitching is almost always there, to some degree.

If you have ALS, if you have first hand accounts, and/or medical knowledge, please share you thoughts, ideas, experiences, and concerns.

How can it usually start?
How does it progress?
Did you have any weird feelings in your body?
Did weakness just appear, or did it gradually show up?
Describe twitching in your case, please.

All comments are appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Also, i feel like me left foot rubs on the ground as i walk at times, and my knees buckle.

Hi Maxtorr,
honey you need to keep working with your doctors.

I think you may be surprised at what stress and anxiety can do to a body. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum.

I can assure you that your symptoms do not sound like ALS.

You must understand that ALS is extremely debilitating and the PALS here can barely move and many can't speak at all, they type by blinking their eyes. The CALS looking after them are exhausted. So don't expect people to sit and answer the questions you wrote, it is rude to expect us to pander to you that way. Follow if you like and read some of my threads in Current caregivers and memorial sections for gruesome details.

Please go back to your doctor, show some patience and work with them to solve your health issues. I sincerely wish you the best in getting back to health.

It is best to stay off doctor google and this site as it increases your anxiety.

You need to go to the doctor of your choice and work to find the answers you need.

Maxtorr, I'll answer your concerns and your questions, but you may not like the answer. Your neurologist treated you well. For the rest of it, you'll need a psychiatrist. They understand how the body and mind interact.

ALS doesn't start with twitching, and it doesn't involve a weird feeling. You're right to note it doesn't come and go; it just gets worse.
Typically, the foot drops. A muscle there becomes paralyzed--limp and useless--and you trip. You don't feel weak or weird, your muscle simply won't lift. In a few cases, it starts with the tongue; you can't swallow liquids.

ALS progresses from foot to head. You don't get it all over. In the tongue cases, it progresses from head to foot.

The twitching in ALS happens AFTER the muscle is paralyzed. The nerves are trying to recruit more connections, but they won't be successful.

The clonazapam is diagnostic. If it fixes you, you don't have ALS.

The fact that you twitch all over is not ALS.

You have classic symptoms of stress. See the shrink.

The clonazepam isn't making the twitching go away. That has me really worried.

Honestly Maxtorr you don't belong here, go back to your doctor with your concerns.

Last post from me

"I went to a neurologist thinking i would find peace of mind and comfort...
he said it was all related to stress, anxiety, and sleeplessness."

Obviously you didn't go for peace of mind and comfort. You went to have your self diagnosis confirmed. He didn't confirm it, so now you're looking for someone else to give you "hope" that you are dying. Time to seek psychological help. Are you looking for death or just attention?

Jesus, I came here looking for protective, for answers...for anything, just not a diagnosis....I came here help! Not to be badgered...
I can't completely understand what any of you have gone through, are going through, or will go through.
I'm sorry for everybody's suffering, I really am, but this is the last place I expected to be treated like this.
Whether I have Bfs, als, or some other thing, at this moment I'm time, what I'm going through, this all I know...

I'm sorry for pestering the people of this community. My intentions were benign, and I just wanted to see what going straight ti the source would provide me.

Are you kidding? Why would I want als?

He barely looked and at, let alone examine me. It was nit reassuring and definitely not what I would consider professional...
What's with all the attitude in this forum?

Maxtorr, you're right that you can't imagine what our people are going through.

We deal with reality. The reality of a certain death sentence. And we help those with ALS. Those who obviously don't have ALS, like you, are best helped by being sent somewhere else where they can get support for the problem they have. You need to see a psychiatrist to get your clonopin adjusted or replaced.

For many of the paralyzed people here who have ALS, it takes great effort to read and reply. They are insulted when a non-ALS person won't take no for an answer. You did, indeed, come straight to the source, and we gave you good answers. Time to be thankful and go in peace. We literally don't have time to pamper you.

Your neurologist can see a lot very quickly. We understand the physical testing--it takes less than a minute, but it tells the doctor a great deal. And the doctor is thinking about a lot of things he'll never mention to the patient. He saw more than you think.

Now this has been explained to you patiently by several people. Time to get your problem fixed. If you wish to discuss it more, go find an anxiety forum or a general health forum.

Well -- Several of us have tried to share our experience with you and your fears.

The consensus seems to be that you need to resolve your issues with medical professionals and/or do not have ALS.

We do empathize with your fears, but there is no more we can help you with at this time.

This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just not on this forum.

You asked, we answered, so please move on.

If you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. Make sure you tell your medical practioner what you are feeling as well as how you are feeling.

No need to reply. Goodbye and best regards.

-----
Max
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Sounds lots like my case,you got a long road ahead.
My anxiety and depression are in check ...my symptoms are still going strong.
I also twitch after flexing a muscle,I don't think thats ALS specific.
The neuro referred me to the psychiatrist,now the psychiatrist refereed me back to the neuro .
Go figure!

jpier,

According to your first Thread you've been seen by three neurologists. Which one is the psychiatrist referring you back to? Being that you have been seen by three neuros maybe consider a second opinion from a second psychiatrist. (PS. Neurologists have a working knowledge of psychiatry.)

(Broke my rule #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back