Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
florida
City
naples
I have really been putting a load on my poor wifes back and I think it's time for a lift .I have heard about a hoyer lift but it was described as obsolete .Can any one tell me of any types of lifts that don't require alot of room to get them around ? I am about 200 pounds so I fear tipping over .
Thanks a bundle
Brentt

Last edited:
Lift Chairs

I wondered if anyone could advise on a lift chair. We have one donated from the local nursing home, but it needs to be higher and a less deep seat would be very helpful. Right now we have two huge pillows in the seat and two behind, just so he can get out of the chair. We have it on a 5" platform also, and its about 28" high with pillows.

lift chair

Hi mama.

From our experience with a lift chair, I would not advise putting much money in one. I know others may have been able to use one several years but for my husband he was able to use it only a short time. Have you already ordered a power chair? If not, and it's in the near future you might think twice about investing in the lift also. Once LB got his power chair the lift chair went to the garage. The power chair was much more comfortable to him. Maybe others can give you more encouragement .

Good luck,
terri

Brentt, I have been using a new Hoyer lift for a few months now. It will lift 400 lbs. and it isn't too big.

mama.
Try Pride lift chairs...they have a nice website too. http://www.pridemobility.com/products/lift_chair/lift_chair.html

My husband lives in his 24 hours a day now..it is a recliner and very comfy. I canget him in and out to commode with our lift and sling. He has Model LL-450 of the luxury line. It was $800-900 but Meciare paid for the lift part of it (about 300?).

Brent, we have a lift we are renting through Medicare--it is an Invacare 450 which means it can handle 450 lbs I believe. Look up on internet for specs. Choose sling type carefully--most ALS people will need head support in the sling and not all slings have...there are 3-4 types of slings. I sling my husabnda aorund all the time by myself, he is down from 190 lbs now to about 150.

good luck, Beth

Need info on lifts...

Hi, this is "Grumpy Old Coaches'" wife (Louie) - and I need some advice. But, first things first - my husband is not grumpy (although he has every right to be!), he is certainly not old (diagnosed at age 47 one year ago), but he is a coach (boys & girls, basketball, baseball, softball)! I gave him the raspberries for his selection of usernames! :-D OK - now for my question. We have a hoyer lift but "somewhere" on your site, I saw a different type of lift that I new I should have bookmarked when I saw it and now I cannot find it. Can you help me find it again? I don't remember if it was a link or if it was just a name that I typed in on a search. I remember "someone" here is using one. I am looking for something different than the regular hoyer lift. (My husband has no arm use and very limited leg use.) Any suggestions? Thank you very much for your help. Louie
(Jeff's wife - aka Grumpy Old Coach!) :-?

Hi everyone!

I care for a former nurse with ALS - so she has plenty of experience with Hoyers. I believe they are so common because here in the USA insurance will pay for or rent a very basic Hoyer. Pat (my friend with ALS) strongly advocated against Hoyers for our use in helping her. Her reasons: clumsy, hard to move over carpeting, not suited to use in a bathroom, chains can cut into thighs of person being hoisted.

We use a Voyager ceiling lift system. We have a track in the bathroom ceiling that can take her off her chair, put her on the toilet and then settle her in the tub. She LOVES the tub because she feels weightless in the water - because she can sit on the bottom of the tub she can be immersed in water up to her neck if she wants. We leave the sling attached as she bathes - so she is in no danger of turning over or slipping down. Pat is very greatful not to have to rely on a shower.

In the bedroom we have a portable Voyager Easy Track lift that takes her from bed to chair or commode. We have easily transported this system to hotels when we travel - takes 5 to ten minutes to set up.

The system saves your back and requires no pushing. The slings work great - for tub, toileting and lifting. Pat feels secure and safe in this system. The track is not the expensive part - the motor is. But it weighs 12 pounds and is easily moved from room to room if you have more than one room with tracks.

Sorry I do not know how to embed liks yet, The Voyager website has a short video on the portable system.

Don't mean to "sell" this system - we had looked onto many, such as "easy Hands" etc. This worked best for us.

Hope this helps. Beth

Hi Brentt
I've gotta agree with Beth (response #7) about the Voyager protable lift. You can set up the track for the bed, bath, toilet or where ever you want.

I have a ceiling track lift that's bolted to the roof struts. It works fine but the portable system can go with you to hotels and such.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back