I miss the little things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
rose;50727 Seriously said:
Know the feeling, Rose! I was trying to pull a parking stub out of the little machine at the entrance to a parking lot, and couldn't do it with my left hand. Had to unbuckle, squeeze out of the car and jerk it out with both hands. The guy in the payment booth was laughing his head off. I briefly considered backing the car up and ramming the booth, but then decided to laugh along with him ... although not very sincerely.

I envision eventually having to pull it out with my teeth. (But perhaps when I reach that point, I'd better stop driving!)

Are we having fun yet?
BethU

Hey Beth. I used to have a light weight set of pliers in the console for grabbing those tickets.

AL.

Great idea, Al! (Why didn't I think of that?!? :))
BethU

Hi Just J,

Tell your husband I have discovered that I am not my body. I am my presence or spirit. I am paralyzed from the neck down, need help with the most basic bodily functions, and can't speak. In spite of this, I have not lost one ounce of my dignity. No one can take that away from you. You have to surrender it. I have pride in who I have become, and exist with an ere of confidence.

Mike

Hi Just J,

Tell your husband I have discovered that I am not my body. I am my presence or spirit. I am paralyzed from the neck down, need help with the most basic bodily functions, and can't speak. In spite of this, I have not lost one ounce of my dignity. No one can take that away from you. You have to surrender it. I have pride in who I have become, and exist with an ere of confidence.

Mike

Thanks Mike. He was very athletic his whole life so I think that he is still in denial over not being able to do things. Once we have a diagnosis I think his attitude will change. Right now we know nothing other than witnessing his constant decline over the past 3 yrs. Wishing you the best!

So well said Mike as usual. It is a shame that for some of us it takes a disease like this to make us stop and think of these things. I mean that with all my heart.

I use to be a work-a-holic and a perfectionist. Can you imagine me now. I guess that is why I like to share my failures sometimes on the forum, to let others know we all make mistakes, but we can learn from them. Go to: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42377#post42377

I guess I am a slow learner, because I make the same mistakes over and over again. But, I am learning. I am learning from the wisdom of others who have walked this road before me, like Mike, Grandpa AL, etc. I'm sorry my memory is so bad, now, I cannot remember all of the wonderful people who have helped, and there is not enough room for them all anyway. Please consider your name mentioned.

I can not thank you enough for sharing your heart with me and others. Only when we meet in heaven will you understand the people you have helped and influenced. Gods Bless you all. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
What I'm going to miss...... I've decided that I'm not going to drive anymore. We've been on vaca for a week and I feel so much weaker. Last time I drove I needed to lift my right leg with my hand to switch from gas pedal to break. Not good. So I'm taking a big girl pill and making the decision - no more driving.

Sharonca

Sorry to hear that Sharon, I hope I can make the right decision at the right time too..

I am sorry to hear this, too, Sharonca. You are doing the responsible thing, though.

Boy, I really feel I made the right decision. Today I had to have my grandson lift my feet to get in the car. Progression is never fun. Grandson goes back to Texas on Tuesday. So sad to lose my helper. I have lots of friends who will be my drivers.

Sharonca

This thread is so good I had to let my wife read it too. :)
I could never undo the straps when I was well. Butter fingers. I think a woman must have designed the do hickie, whatchamacallit, thingy, on the back of the bra. :-D

Great sense of humor which keeps us all going. It had to be a man who invented that!Bless you for your outlook and humor.

I hear you I cant do any of that myself even hard to do the sipper up on my pants.To carry a cup 10 feet with out it droping is a good day.The thing I hate I cant ride my bike

Hey Bossman- here's a little trick that helps if you are not extremely weak: tie a loop of clear fishing line to the tab in the zipper. Then you can pull the loop of fishing line.

Me, I just wear pull up pants now. I got cheap ones with fake fly flaps so I look like a grown-up. :-D

Great idea about the fishing line, I'll try it...

If you use clear line, it does not show up against your clothing as quickly as a regular twine or ribbon would. Plus it doesn't fray in the wash.

I forgot to say that I took the buttons of my waistbands and substituted velcro tabs. Then I re-sewed the button over the front closure so that after I "close" the waistband with my velco, it looks like I buttoned everything together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back