Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
ky
City
Shelbyville
Hello everyone. Let me start by thanking everyone who responded to my last post. This board is a great source of information and support. Which is why I am here. I deal with issues through writing. It is my way to vent. My way to get it out so I can face it and move on to another day. I lost my job!:-( I have severe cramping in my legs throughout the day.
My job required driving. During a cramping session, I would pull over (if driving) and work the cramps out. This would sometimes last for an hour. I missed an appointment because of this cramping. It was the second appointment of the week. I was let go because I could not perform my job duties. Thanks for letting me post this message. I needed to vent.

Tabney -

I am so sorry to hear of you losing your job so abruptly. That's a big hit to the morale as well as the wallet.

What will you do next?

Liz

Tabney

O.K., that job is over. Time to move on to a job that would be better for you and kinder to your condition. NEVER GIVE UP! Ask God to assist you in finding another job. Are you taking Quinine for your cramps? Think of what you can still do...NOT what you can't do. At least you can still drive...and I presume you can still get around on foot...? There will always be something to try to steal your joy...Even really healthy people lose their jobs. And it's perfectly natural to feel down, but we can't dwell on the things that get us down for too long(although this could be EASY). We have to press on. This illness is trying to defeat us in more ways than just physically. ASK God to guide you to what you are supposed to do next. He Will Help You! You may feel abandoned by Him, but your'e NOT! And WE'RE all here cheering you on!

DBowman

Hi Tabney. So sorry to hear about the job. We sometimes evaluate our abilities according ot the type of job we have so it is a real loss of self-esteem to be told your are done. Plus to have such a vivid reminder of how your condition is affecting you is a double whammy! I am so sorry.

Of course you'll need time to re-group. Who wouldn't? Just know that we are here for you and we're always ready to listen. Write back soon! Cindy

Tabney, it will get better! You were never defined by your job - and you will find another. Like DBowman said, God will lead you to a better job. Your wellbeing is what is important here and employers who don't understand are employers you can just plain do without. The silver lining here may be that you get a job you like better, which pays better, and will lead you to new opportunities. Then, you'll look back and be thankful for this situation. Stay strong. God Bless!
Nicki

Hi tabney. Sorry about your bad luck. If I recall correctly , you are in the UK , correct? Is there disability insurance there that you could go on? With a PLS or MND diagnosis you should be able to get some benefits. I know as a man we don't like to think of doing this but it may be a better option allowing you to spend more and better quality time with your family before your condition gets worse. Just an option that you may have not thought about. Tomorrow is another day. Plan for tomorrow but live for today.
AL.

Hi Tabney. Sorry to hear about the job. I agree with Dbowman, try to look at it as an opportunity for a change in your life for the better. I know when you are in the midst of something like this, it's hard to maintain a positive outlook about it. Just wanted to let you know that we are here to encourage you and help you through these trying times.

God Bless
Capt AL

Thank you

A big thanks to all who read and replied to my post. I have had several interviews and have resumes out all over the region. I know something better will come along and soon.:mrgreen:

Great news! Good luck on your job search! We'll send plenty of warm vibes out there in the universe for in hopes something comes through soon! Cindy

Just been diagnosed with PLS.

Seems kind of strange to be introducing myself to a group of people I don't know on the internet. 'Frizzel' bythose that know me well. Hope to get to know some of you over the years. Have had PLS for almost 11 years. I just got my wheelchair. Looking at it in the front room seems so foreign when just last Thanksgiving I was swimming in the ocean. Remind me to share my swimming story some time. It's a doozey!

Tabney, DB is right, there will always be something in our lives come to steal our joy. Quinine can help. I personally try to always keep my legs warm and stretched. Hot water bottles in a pillow case help some with the spasms and cramping in my legs.
All the best in finding a new job. Yes, we're cheering you on!

Anyone like to make jewelry with beads or grow flowers/herbs?

Welcome Frizzel. I always suspected that warm compresses could help the cramping. Good tip. I used to have a nice vegetable garden with lots of herbs but found it too hard to keep up. We are looking into modifying our home and new landscaping will be a part of that, along with raised beds so I can grow stuff again. I'd be interested in any gardening tips you have to share for folks with weak legs, weak arms and hand atrophy. I'm not ready to give up a hobby I love! Cindy

HI Cindi M

I'm just learning myself how to stay gardening with my legs only keeping me up for short mintues at a time. I rode our riding lawn mower and when I got off my legs couldn't move at all. Praise God our son was visiting and carried me back inside. I'm thinking about ways to do this. I think it may take a couple other people working with me, too. I like the area of raised beds. I do a lot of potted flowers on our back porch. Everything needs to be put on a drip this year since dragging a hose about will be near impossible UNLESS, I work up until my husband comes home by riding the lawn mower aroung and then I'll have him carry me in. Many adjustments in learning how to use our bodies that seem to have a mind of their own. Let's exchange ideas and maybe we can at least keep our tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs and carrots going. Keep me posted on what your plans are. I think for now, I'll stick with the chicken and a hen cactuses, herbs, easy care flowers and a few raised beds and my rose bushes. We have lots of fruit tree and blueberry bushes that feed us through the summer. We'll figur out something. My husband is getting ready to build a ramp up to our home. Lots to think
about. What MMD do you have? Thanks for the note. Frizzel

Thanks for the advice, Frizzel. We are still trying to figure out what my DX is. I go back to the clinic tomorrow but doubt doctor sad-sack (that's what we knicknamed him on this fourm) will have a DX. Whatever I have is too slow-moving. Which is a good thing!

Tabney- any leads in the job market yet? Cindy.

Dr. Appointment Tomorrow for Cindy M

Hi Cindy,

If it's slow progressing then adapt and enjoy your life NOW. Take the time to do the things your body can do while you still have some say. I'm about to the point where my legs are done. It took 11 years. Now it's moving at a faster rate. I force myself to take my walker on the little steps from the car to a friends house or just get around our home inside. Sometimes they don't even work there.

Is your struggle with your legs or arms or? I understand what it's like to not have a diagnosis. I'd enourage you to stay in tune with your body AND tune in learning to dance life. My feet are clumsey, I fall, I get knocked over AND I can appreciate being able to dance, (even if it's just in my head) with those I love and that want to dance life with me. CHin up....we're all on our way outta this life...what do you want to be remembered for?

Let me know how your appointment goes if you'd like. All the best! Frizzel

job leads

Cindy,

I have lots of apps out right now. Waiting game at this point. I am going to make calls starting tomorrow to keep my name on their mind. Otherwise, just waiting for the call.
Thanks for asking and for the wonderful support. I will keep you all posted....get it....posted. I crack myself up.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back