Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in all researched up and ready to argue but didn't have to. I was ready to talk about HSP-70 and how lithium has the opposite effect on GABA as minocycline and how safe lithium was at these levels..etc,etc. Instead I got, its an old drug that we have a lot of experience with and its safe at these levels so here you go. I must admit it was quite refreshing but I was disappointed I didn't get to even debate a little :)

lol Jeff Good luck!

Good luck Jeff. Please, let us know how you feel on the medication.

Take care,
Pam B in Va

I started taking 150 mg. lithium twice a day on Jan. 21st. At 5 days my blood level was
.3 so increased dose to 3 times a day. Will have blood level checked again 2/11. So far no side effects.

i just read the lithium study

I am going to my als clinic next wednesday, and i am hoping got my scripts too!
Karen Felzer at cal tech is conducting a study, and if you email her she will respond, and answer any questions you have. hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Givenin

My husband showed me the clip of the study on his computer last night, it is good to see his hopes go up but he is also progressing into Bulbar very quickly. My question is what are the side affects? I have heard nothing of what they could be and fear that if he should try another experimental drug his quality of life would even be worse than it is now.

My doctor told me at the levels we are to take - 150 mg 2 times a day - that the side effects should be minimal. The most I have noticed after 6 days is a dry mouth at night and that could be because I heard someone else mention that. It is not a big deal. We are trying to get to .4 blood level. Someone taking it for bi-polar would be at 1.2 blood level. For me, the chance that this could slow or stop progression while I can still use my hands and speak would be - can't think of a word great enough. I have my first blood test to check levels today. Wish me luck!

Sharonca

Mom just got back from the ALS cllinic in Vancouver, They told her they Have quite a few PALS taking it and have been for a while, they have not been able to see any benefites so far. They did tell her thier hope is still in stem cell.

Well that is not good news northerngirl. I hope that is not the case and the people you are taking about have not been on it long enought to show any improvement. it is also my understanding it is not a cure but a way to prolong life and improve life. God lets hope it works

fyi...there is another artile published by the als association yesterday. i am sorry i do not know how to send it to this web site, but is anyone wants to message me and i will send it to you.
jeff (zenarcher) are you also taking rilutek while taking the lithium. did
you dr say if it was a good idea or bad idea to take both at the same time?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks jeff. did you report out how much lithium you are taking?
i am going to my als clinic on wednesday and want to have all the amo!
dona

it is what it is: no pitty parties here

You guys may already be familiar with this study, but I will describe it anyway (From the Dana Foundation's Brain Work magazine). Jeff Rothstein, from Johns Hopkins, wrote about his research on the effects of lithium on astrocytes (glial cells responsible for providing nourishment to neurons). According to the report, ALS progression is partly determined by astrocyte dysfunction. The report goes on to say that one of the functions of astrocytes is to remove excess glutamate from the synapses, where it could have a toxic effect. I quote from the article: "Astrocytes are equipped with an array of so-called glutamate transporters to perform this cleanup. In ALS, there is an 'almost complete wipeout' of glutamate transporters and astrocytes, Rothstein said suggesting that these transporters are crucial in neuron death and disease."

Since lithium targets glutamate, the neural protection lithium offers may be related to balancing glutamate levels.

zinman

hey Al, do you see Zinman?
I sent him a link, thru Myrna, describing the lithium study and I'm due for my visit on the 19th, i think.
do you think he'd be ok with it?
he didn't email me back.
i've talked to him before about it, 3 months ago in fact, and he seemed very interested!

Dona, as I'm sure you know the amount of lithium you take is dependent on blood level. I'm starting at 150mg 2x/day. I'll get my levels checked next week then go from there.

vmd: A couple of things I've found interesting is that lithium also induces HSP-70. Arimoclomol is a co-inducer of HSP-70. Also lithium regulates GABA to normal levels which is exactly the opposite of minocycline which inhibits GABA. I can post links later if you want just don't have them now. Search PubMed they're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back