jimO

Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Point Edward
I just can't decide,
after dealing with ALS for almost 6 years now I just can't decide what I miss more( as a male ); Picking my nose or Scratching my balls? ?
Granted I no longer drive so the mandatory nose pick at Stop signs isn't a problem nor am I running around being active to get jock itch ,but every so often the male urge to itch/pick just for the sake of it comes over me and then I just can't decide what I miss more? As I would probably enjoy it I'm not up to asking the nurse (hey if you're not too busy would you mind scratching my *)
Oh Well the urges usually pass soon and I continue on with life as a pals,

Just looking on the lighter side of life lol
Take Care

Jim Oliver

I just can't decide

Hi jimO,

Your post made me laugh out loud. I love your sense of humor....it's a great gift to have isn't it?

I took care of my mom who had ALS so I didn't have to worry about the "scratching" issue, although the nose thing might have been one but it didn't come up! I did everything for her but I think the nose thing might have been just a bit weird! But you gotta do what you gotta do for your loved ones!

Take care and keep smiling,

SoniaT
Vancouver, BC :-D

I can still scratch but the nose thing is getting harder. I asked the Physiotherapist if she had any solutions and that was 3 months ago. She said she'd ask around and get back to me. I guess she's still looking.

tough to 'pick'

I take care of both chores-- I mean 'pleasures' :)-- for my husband on a daily basis. When queried on which he would give up first he too was hard pressed to choose one over the other. Aahh, the basics that so many people take for granted!
Beth

OK Beth. Seriously because my wife needs to know. How do you pick someone else's nose without hurting them. She has heard vaseline and a Q tip. Does this work or what? AL.

well, if you figure you guys dig in there with your fingers all the time, that's a pretty big diameter object! I just put a tissue over my pinkie finger and swipe in with that....only occasionally do I get complaints for roughness or discomfort. Give it a try.
Beth

Thanks. I really was serious. AL. And by the way how do you know we all dig?

I just can't decide

One of my good friends on PLM sets his water pic on the lowest level and has his nose cleaned. He is a quad, so his aide must do it, but he thinks it is wonderful. Give it a try and see what you think.

Hi Everyone!

I also got quite a chuckle over the posts. I can definitely relate.

As for the nosepicking, I suppose I rubbed my husband's nose and also helped him blow it quite often. And the ball scratching, .............well quite honestly I didn't know it was such a big thing to guys. But apparently it is, or so my son told me when I asked him. He just grinned and blushed and said 'yup, guys need to scratch their balls'. LOL!

Anyway, of course I complied whenever my husband asked me to, but I had to be careful not to get too carried away and have it lead to "$%^&)(", etc. etc. which by the way, was always a wonderful experience for both of us even if I had to be the active participant. That is one muscle that is not affected. LOL!

We do what God tells us to do.

In the hospital, my husband finally asked the nurses to wash that area quite often when he got itchy. It was interesting to see how the experienced nurses did their routine duties without any hesitation nor inhibitions, whereas the younger nurses were not so thorough. Anyway, between us we let them know what needs had to be met. LOL!

My husband was also a nail biter, and he grew beautiful nails once he could no longer lift his hands and arms.

Likely the worst thing that happened to him was when he started to fall, and he fell quite often, anywhere and any time. He finally agreed to let us help him after he did a serious face plant on the cement, scraped his face and shoulder, and broke his glasses. I remember that day so well, and it always makes me sad. Not because he fell, but because it was one more thing that he had to give up.

Keep on fighting, gang. Fight to the finish! It's worth it!

Love you all,

Pat

Great story Jim, amazing the things we miss

We do so many things automatically without thinking sometimes, they we actually don't realize we are doing them until someone else says hey why you got your hands in your pants? OH, sorry just rearranging the ball room.
For you ladies out there sometimes we sit on the wrong things, if you get the picture and they have to be rearranged. Never thought I'd be telling anyone about that.

Another story for you my wife and I were at the back of our car talking to another couple when my legs gave away and I fell with charley horses in both legs. My wife never stopped her conversation with the couple and acted like nothing had happened. The man was all worried about me and said what should we do for him. My wife said OH he's just having one of his spells, he'll be alright in a few minutes. and kept on talking.....After all she had seen me fall probably over 75 times at this point. Yeah I know I'm stubborn, that's why I'm in this wheelchair now. Too many knots on the head to think straight.

Love you guy and keep us laughing when you can. A merry heart does good like a medicine.

God Bless,
Big AL
:-D

Hi Gang:
I just got in behind my wife... closed my eyes and made believe it was My nose! Of course this only worked once as I'm Italian and my nose is quite a bit larger than my wifes was. On the other hand in so far as necessary jobs to perform... my wife was in her late 40's when she was suffering from ALS... I prayed monthly for menopause to take over despite my improving dexterity at the procedure! You have to do what's necessary and in our house the phrase of choice was"grab a mit and get in the game!" Now ball scratching.... there's a unique task. I'mmmmmm thinking a low speed dremel tool.........

CHeers
T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back