I have slurred speech, stumbling for the right words, how common is this onset of ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamabw

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Bedford
I started about a year ago stumbling for words. I have had all the neurological testing done, but all was negative. I have some compressed disks in my neck and back. I have had tingling in the past in hands and feet, but was told it was due to the disks. I just noticed a couple of days ago that I have a scallopped tongue. I have NO swallowing problems at all. BUT, I am very concerned about the speech issues. Can ANYONE tell me if this is how they started? I am a nervous wreck, and it consumes my time and my mind! I do not know what else the speech issue could be? Eveytning I have read on line points to a neurological disorder...ALS and others. The reason I stated going to the DR was because I was having bouts of fogginess and fatigue. It would last a couple of days, maybe a week and go away. This was before any speech issues. I still get these bouts, and then they go away, and I feel fine except for the speech issue. I have been recently diagnosed (2 weeks ago) with dry eye syndrome, and been given restasis for that issue. SO, what the hell is going on here? I would appreciate ANY advise or comments. Thanks!

By the way, I have an appointment with a new Neuro in a few weeks at a local Dallas ALS place. I am very scared at this point!

Give us your age, etc.

the more you look at your tongue, the more you will find. it's like a magnification effect, it's likely been there for some time you just never paid attention to your tongue.

sorry, age is 43

I am a 43 year old male

Man, it's tough, we all know.

All i can say, is make sure the do an EMG on your tongue, cheek and paraspinals...MAKE SURE they don't miss those if if they are finishing up on them and didnt' do them, then ask! DEMAND IT

Next, all you can do is hang in there. Try to get your doc to give you something to relax, Tranxene XL did it for me.

As far as your symptoms, yes they don't sound good, but my friend, anxiety and just the smallest things can make a bad symptom from nothing, then again, it could be real could be in your head.. Let's hope its the last item, right!

Just keep busy, try to focus on your family, they are who si going to get you thru it!

Hang in there pal, we all know where you are, been there and it ain't fun!

Rgds,

Jamie

Jamie: Thanks for your response. I will make sure the neuro does test the tongue, cheek, and paraspinals. Have you had those items checked?

I know what you are going through. The time consuming anxiety, and fear that goes right to your core. I had the esxact same symptoms as you at first. One night while researching on the computer, I read the word ALS. I still remember the feeling that went throughout my body. Since that day, I never stopped thinking about ALS, even though the doctor told me that I didn't havbe it. That was over one year ago. Sadly, I have been recently DX with ALS. You are right about the speech problems. It all points to neurologic problems. I pray that you will have a different outcome. Maybe you have Myasthenia Gravis, hopefully.
Linda

Linda: Thank you. Can you tell me what happened to you in a little more detail? What kind of speech problems you had/have, how it started? You know what is wierd, is that I can read a book out loud, and detect no slurring/impairment. It is when I am just talking, it is hard to get my words out or use the right words. My wife says I jumble my words. I just wanted to know if this sounds familiar? Thanks so much for your help!

BW

I started about a year ago stumbling for words. I have had all the neurological testing done, but all was negative. I have some compressed disks in my neck and back. I have had tingling in the past in hands and feet, but was told it was due to the disks. I just noticed a couple of days ago that I have a scallopped tongue. I have NO swallowing problems at all. BUT, I am very concerned about the speech issues. Can ANYONE tell me if this is how they started? I am a nervous wreck, and it consumes my time and my mind! I do not know what else the speech issue could be? Eveytning I have read on line points to a neurological disorder...ALS and others. The reason I stated going to the DR was because I was having bouts of fogginess and fatigue. It would last a couple of days, maybe a week and go away. This was before any speech issues. I still get these bouts, and then they go away, and I feel fine except for the speech issue. I have been recently diagnosed (2 weeks ago) with dry eye syndrome, and been given restasis for that issue. SO, what the hell is going on here? I would appreciate ANY advise or comments. Thanks!

By the way, I have an appointment with a new Neuro in a few weeks at a local Dallas ALS place. I am very scared at this point!
Hi, Just a thought since you mentioned dry eyes is Sjogren's syndrome which I believe is autoimmune and can cause dry eyes and slurred speech.
Laurel

Fear

I know that as we all go through these symtoms that we are experiencing it is easy to talk about the fear and the on going depression that we all fear just thinking about the possibility of having als. Can we please remember that we are not on a website that is a casual "OMG I thought there was a possibility I could have als", we are here in the presence of those that are suffering greatly from the raveges of this insidious disease. Please lets be sensitive!
Just my opionion
Robin

symptoms sound like something else

Bombabw,

So sorry you are having these concerns and anxiety of ALS. However, after you are tested more, it should reveal if it is ALS symptoms, particularly with the tongue.

At this point, after a year of slurred speech, personally, I do not feel it is ALS related, perhaps some other neurological problems. Usually, the slurred speech becomes worse as time goes and one is unable to speak clearly at all. However, ALS is different for everyone, like a snowflake.

Try to concentrate on today, and live it to the fullest with happy thoughts. You can make yourself sicker with worry, and we need to have the healthiest bodies to fight any disease that confronts us.

Hang in there, you are far too young to have all this on your plate right now.

Hugs and Prayers,

Caroliney

Caroliney: Thank you so much for your kind words! I have been selfish and not really thinking of the people on here that are going thru their hard times, and I apologize for that. The not knowing really brings out a side to me I do not like. I appreciate everyones comments and concerns!

Hi Bamabw,

I realize yours is a very old post, but it caught my eye and I registered to this forum just to post this reply.
Perhaps you are better by now, but in case you are not.. If you eat a lot of fish and / or have silver fillings in your teeth, chances are you are suffering from mercury toxicity. Slurred speech, eye problems, and fatigue are a few of most common symptoms of mercury toxicity. I believe I have it also and am experiencing the same symptoms among many others. So if you are still suffering, check into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back