I have chronic air hunger. Does this sound like ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieMarcus983

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NV
City
Las Vegas
I had covid 19 in April 2021. I developed some Long haul symptoms like joint aches, chronic nausea, muscles feeling like jelly even though I’m not lifting anything heavy. My current symptoms are dull aches when I stretch, muscle weakness, and now air hunger. I had no shortness of breathe issues until the day before thanksgiving. Now I feel like I have to manually breathe all day. It gets better when I lay down. I had an EMG that came out fine a few months back. I haven’t lost muscle mass, and the muscle weakness comes and goes. I had a brain mri in October which came back normal. Does this sound like ALS? I need some feedback here. Thank you for your time!

No, not at all. There are some crazy long haul side effects that covid can cause, so perhaps this is one if them. If you had ALS, lying down would make breathing worse, not better. Further, respiratory onset ALS is extremely rare and your symptoms don't describe ALS.

Keep working with your docs and hopefully they can get to the bottom of what is going on.

Good luck to you.

Does a tight throat sensation also resemble AlS? When I feel like I need to breathe, it tightens up.

No, it does not. Doing some moving, deep slow breathing, and stretching throughout the day may help you build up your exercise tolerance and open up your airways. Of course, when you really need to, there is nothing wrong with lying down. You can buy a spirometer to track your progress if you like. Keeping hydrated in these dry conditions is also important.

Best,
Laurie

Definitely not, please see a doctor, you need to talk with someone who can examine you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back