Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miramar
Has anyone out there ever had a cast on their leg and if so, the muscle tone that is lost due to lack of use, with PLS can the calf muscles regenerate?

PLS/muscle regeneration

Hi,

I don't have an answer, just questions. How long was the cast on ur leg? Are you getting ROM ( range of motion exercises? I have PLS & when in bed weeks from illness get petrified from contractions not balanced by ROM.

30 years ago when my arm was in a cast 4 6 weeks the muscles shrank from non-use, but were still there to plunp up again w/ use. Do you think this is the case? PLS'ers r supposed to keep muscles I'm told.

kathmc

My leg has been in a cast for two weeks with another two weeks to go. Can't really do ROM execises yet because the cast goes from below my knee to my toes. I was just curious about what I can be looking forward to with the muscles in my calfs. Thanks for your help.

kimsoto

was your muscle tone ok before the casts? are you talking about atrophy?maybe you are talking about general appearance rather than mnd damage.
loss of muscle tone means loss of natural ability of a muscle to contract/hypotonicity.
in pls muscle tone is the opposite /hypertonicity. only if lmn's are involved or you have a acute severe umn lesion in mnd does loss of muscle tone develop.
i have had pls 9yrs now. i do have loss of muscle tone in my left lower leg, hopefully from acute umn lesion but it does'nt seem to get better.
take care.
caroline:-D

Did anyone else notice loss of muscle tone due to disuse?

I know that atrophy is a symptom of ALS, but with PLS there are movement issues which reduce the amount of use of limbs.

Does anyone notice that affected limbs, such as calves, look smaller since disease onset? And if yes, after how much time of limb onset was it noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back