Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SR
Hi everyone
I am 52 years old male from Serbia,Europe
My English is my 3rd language so sorry about that.I hope you will understood me
First of all I want to thank you accepted me in this forum.
I will be very short ...well, everything started with fasciculations in my both calf's ...I done everything in next 7 days [ neurological exam and EMNG ] and hopefully eveeything goes well,my results was fine with clear EMNG
But, fasc.didn't stop at all...in calf's there are 24/7 and in next two months there are spread everywhere ,especially in my left arm [ biceps ,triceps ,hand]...sometimes I felt in right side of the body but left is worst
Now I am wondering did I done EMNG early? As I saw and learn after the period of denervation symptoms as a weakness start and everything is clear about that, I understood well
But whats going on if fasciculation is the first symptom of ALS and I made Emng so early [ only after a 7 days I saw them]?I mean ,did emng can show ALS pattern after a one week of fasc appearing?
I will appreciated if somebody can answer to me
I wish everybody all the best and good luck

Fasciculations are many thousands of times less often seen in ALS than in benign conditions. We don't always know why some people have them more often all of a sudden, but eating more magnesium/potassium/calcium-rich foods, making sure you drink enough liquid, get enough sleep, manage your stress and get enough exercise may help. You did not do the EMG too early.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie for fast response ...it is really helpful for me coz nobody didn't gave me right answer.Understood that clean emng mean no ALS because this exam most often shows abnormality before symptomes appear but this things with fasciculations bother me very much[ it is also ALS symptom as described ] and I am afraid what will happen next and after fascs.if they come first and emng didn't show ALS pattern because I made it very very early
So Laurie, by Your opinion,I dont need to be so scared regarded ALS and not need other emng ?
Thanks again,You are so kind

Fasciculations in ALS are because of dying motor neurons. Dying motor neurons would be detected by an emg. Your emg was fine therefore your fasciculations have another cause. Benign fasciculation syndrome is common as well as the things Laurie mentioned. You don’t need another emg

Hi Nikki
I listened your advice and did not done another emng....but when I read the posts of members who are scared like me I must ask you one more time and sorry about that, really sorry
Again, my problem started with fasciculations in both calfs and I made neurological exam + emng only after the one week fasc.appeared.My question was,did I done emng so early coz I read that sometimes emng can be clear in the very start of disease coz it need time to acute denervation and renervation [MUP with long amplitudes and durations etc ] emng can show.
This things really scare me very much and make me think to do another emng what is of course again big stress for me and my family
And something else please...how often fasciculation is the first symptom of ALS disease ?
Pls understand me that I scare to much like never before and I really need more helpful info before I go again to make emng
Thanks

Stop reading, start living with your family, be happy with your health.

Reading the posts of people who are unduly scared is only going to make you unduly scared.

Fasciculations without real problems in movement are not ALS.

Yes,understand.I try to leave normal life but every day I see something else scaring me...when you said movement,what do you mean? I ask you because I saw something wrong going on with my legs...I can not explain whats happen but it is something between loosing balance and weakness ...but when I saw my Dr neuro. and ask her about it she done some exams like Romberg test etc and check my reflexes / power of the legs& body and everything was more than perfect...so I think this feeling with my legs is due my stress and anxiety ...thats what my Dr also said
But,whats happen with movement if somebody have fasciculation ,pls let me know if you dont mind?
Thanks a lot [ I will not bother you no more]
Best

Fasciculations are not a problem.

If you cannot move your legs normally, that is a problem.

You have fasciculations, not problems with moving your legs.

You don't have ALS.

Hi Nikki & Laurie
I made another EMG ,after 3 months and everything is fine and same as it was at very first time..
Now,I really dont think about fasciculations and everything considered lower motor neuron
The only thing and last one I want to ask is about spasticity ....I feel some kind of stiffness in my fingers and hands ,especially at morning and some pain in biceps and triceps ,also all of arms joints....my Dr made exams,check reflexes and tonus and everything gone well
My question is, can it be spasticity ?
Pls let me know,this is my last question in this forum.
Thanks a lot

No, it's not spasticity. Congrats on your multiple clean EMGs and clinical exams. Yay! My husband would be envious.

Thank you for fast response ...I am fighting with ALS idea in my mind with almost 4 months....now I am till the end of this fight but as usual some things still make me afraid as I previously said [ spasticity ,pain in arms,hands,joints]...maybe it is,maybe not etc
My country is pretty small and it is not to.many patience and experience with ALS and I try to find some information from everywhere .Maybe I am on wrong place and I really appreciated when somebody is so kind and give me any helpful info about this disease
Thanks again
Best

Pain that is worse in the morning can improve with stretching and may relate to your bed or chair. If it gets worse, you can be checked for arthritis, but generally with exercise, healthy fats, and finding ways to reduce stress, you can feel better on your own.

You are good to go.

Hi Nikiki /Laurie/ everybody

I have a few questions based on my situation what I have in last 5 months
I will appreciate if somebody can help mee with an answers
Well,as I previously wrote I made two emg [emng] in period of 3months [ 1st of December & 1st of March-three months later] because of widespread twitching all over my body, basically in calfs and feet and everything goes well [they found problem with nerves roots L5/S1 and L4 ]
Today,I visited my Dr. neuro,again made clinical exam and everything is well with UMN what I basically wanted to know
Now,I am more relaxed what I used to be but just need one or two more things to finish all of this ALS story
1. As I saw ,my Emng exam finished after 25min...6min NCS and the rest was EMG needle test for all together 14 muscles of uper and lower limbs ,which mean every muscle checked for maximum 30-40sec
Is it enough time for experience Dr. to check any acute denervation and renervation and possible ALS pattern ???
2. Today, my Dr told me that every ALS case is specific ...for somebody emng can be clear for long time before something goes wrong what scared me for a bit!
My last question is does emng, done twice in period of three months, are enough safe to dont think about LMN and ALS any more??
Thanks for all help you gave me , I really appreciate it
DL

1) Yes, that is a good number of muscles.
2) Yes. A doctor is often going to be cautious in speech. I can say, I can't be sure the sun will rise tomorrow. But I am pretty certain it will.

Thx...nice answer😀
But probably you did not understood my 1st question because of my bad English
Is 30 or 40 sec enough time to check ALS abnormalities [ fibrillations,fasciculations ,pws....long amplitude of MUPs etc ] in any of muscle I checked or it need more time ?
Laurie,one more thing and I will finish definitely ,I promise
My Dr saw that my right arm is little bit thinner than left and it is strange coz I am righthanded.
So,I am wondering in the case it is atrophy due ALS,how come its happen if I not feel any kind of weakness ?? Or simply ,is atrophy coming after weaknes or together with arm weaknes...this is right question?!
Please let me know....I don't want to bother you any more
Thanks a lot
Best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back