Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
A Small Beach Town
by the time I struggle to get out of bed and put on a pair of sweatpants and a tee shirt I'm so tired I want to go back to bed.

I can soooo relate to this. You are not alone. So sorry you too are struggling. {{HUG}}

and after a shower toweling off requires so much effort I need to sit and rest before getting dressed.

Sigh...gone are the days of daily showers and just hopping in and out. It's hard to reach the feet to wash and dry between the toes. No more pink toenails unless I can get someone else to apply the polish.

I've found that getting organized before a bath/shower makes it a little easier. Towel spread out on the commode for sitting on after, terry cloth robe for quick dry, drying towel for feet, legs and arms as robe takes care of the rest. Simple things do need losts of planning and is exhusting!

I can so relate. Just makes me love my hubby so much more. He bathes me every day by getting in the tub with me then drys me and helps into my jammys I feel so blessed to have such wonderful cals all family My SIL. Sends me a gift card every month to get hair trimmed.....Body waxed. .... Then mani and pedicurces. Just to make me feel like me again I pray every pals get the care they so need.

I can relate as well, as I sit here and try to decide if I'll make it up the 16 steps to the bathtub, or if I'll just wash my hair in the kitchen sink, and go to my Mom's for a shower tomorrow, as I can use the scooter to get into her house. I'm voting for tomorrow I think!

thank God for shower benches. At least I can sit securely on it as I don't trust myself to stand long. For someone who showered twice daily I am lucky to whip my enthusiasm up every 2-3 days and do sponge bathS in between. A girlfriend comes for coffee once a week to do me a foot rub and cut my nails. I don't know how I'd survive without those helpful friends.

If holding the soap is difficult (my left hand is weak) I have one of those shower poofs i squirt liquid soap on.

Bill, all that advice and not one comment on your avitar. :) What exactly is it?

I think I know, "but" not sure.?

Jim

We are fortunate to have a large double walk-in shower. I'm using a PVC garden chair, it has a high back and sturdy arms for pushing myself up, as well as slots for the water to drain. I feel very secure in it. I also use an old walker with a cup holder in the shower. Not only does it make me feel more secure when making the two steps to get out to my waiting rollator, I can prop the handheld shower spray in the cup holder so that it's within easy reach as I shower. My friend gave me a long handled sponge which is great for reaching my feet or back. (Helps in chasing down the soap too) A plastic suction cup holder keeps the soap at my level and easily reachable. Another larger one holds other shower necessities. I use a rubberized cloth for drying a car (Auto department of W'mart) as a floor mat when getting out of the shower. It's less slippery than the grippy shower mat I bought for that purpose. Most of the drying gets done in the safety of the garden chair before I exit.
Did I mention there's even a heater in the ceiling of the bathroom? We may live in the south, but that's one feature I don't want to lose, especially as it takes so looooong to shower and dress. These days I'm finding it much easier to do part of my dressing seated on the bed with my rollator in front of me.

Bill, all that advice and not one comment on your avitar. :) What exactly is it?

I think I know, "but" not sure.?

Jim

Hi Jim, was that pun intended? Yes, it is a man with his head up his butt. I'm sure we've all dealt with guys like him before.

Oh, I thought it was "kiss your ass goodby!" now I'll probably get moderated for swearing... :)

I so agree Deb. We have a gas wall heater in the back part of our bathroom. It will run you out if there lol on high. But keeps toasty all the way to the point he tucks me into bed. If we have a power outage as you know snow and ice in south shuts the whole world down it seems The heater keeps the master bedroom and bath warm. And a generator to run tv. Small fridge and anything else we need. Lol.

Bill. I had one of those mornings my dad was taking me to doctor today. So my SIL did not come down her. I could here my dad banging on door (he forgot his key) I cannot get out of bed I cannot reach phone. My bad. Finally my SIL came
I was hanging half way off bed. Just dangling there trying to catch my breath after all that struggling to get that far
Now it seems funny. At the time I was almost in tears lol now. Ole Lou is a &@@);)3&75(;&;'nmh:

Felica, I now sleep with the cell phone under my pillow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back