Not open for further replies.

Anxiousbetty

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello, I frequent this forum mainly to read the “read before posting” post to help my anxiety. My symptoms started August 2021.
I began with twitching in my legs (I know anxious twitchers are all over this forum) and of course after googling I went into a world of panic. I went to my GP and all blood work was normal. I went to a neurologist and get like a complete waste of his time. He spent about 10 minutes on my exam and told me I am clear (thankfully) and agreed to send me to an EMG for peace of mind. The EMG offers by his office was $2,000, so my GP said a Physical Therapist in town specializes in EMG and nerve conduction tests for around $200. I decided to take that rout as my symptoms are worsening I feel.
-I continue to get fasciculations
-my hands and forearm has been tightening consistently (not a cramp but a very strong tighten)
-during the night my L quad has been waking me up feeling almost frozen. Like I cannot move it AT ALL. It is not numb, just like the muscle is not responding for a few minutes, then loosens again.
-my calves have been cramping nonstop.
Now I wouldn’t have posted if it was just the twitching, as I frequent BFS reddits as well. I ran into a scary story about cramping and spasticity and it really threw me back to where I was in August.

The PT told me my EMG on my R leg and R arm looked fine and I should put this to rest, but now my anxious mind is making me second guess because he isn’t a “neurologist”.
I’m aware this isn’t the typical onset scenario, but the story about cramping and spasms brought me back here- to post for the first time.
Of it were ALS the EMG would have showed it, correct?

I would like to add I am 26 F and the fasciculations are body wide and 24/7. The spasms and cramps are mainly in my calves.

1) Yes, though you are right, PTs aren't typically certified EMG examiners. However, on the basis of what you said, an EMG to rule out ALS wasn't necessary in the first place.

2) I would video your sleep -- a muscle that wakes you up and feels frozen isn't happy for some reason, many of which could relate to positioning, environment, etc.

3) It wouldn't hurt to get your L quad evaluated by a PT, orthopod, rehab doc, what have you. But what you describe isn't like ALS.

Thank you for the reply.
So I shouldn’t worry about my “symptoms” changing from just fasciculations to spasms and cramping? I did not have those when I went to see the neurologist, just twitching.

No, that is not how ALS begins. But you might have a muscle tear or other injury that should be checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back