Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fair Oaks
I was seen this last month and my dr was at a loss for what to diagonse me with. He finally said it was the possibilty of Parsonage Turner Syndrom. I was reluctant to accept this but relieved. I do not have any pain. Just discomfort in my neck and arm with atrophy and weird sideeffects that are too numerous to describe. I came home not getting better but worse. My calves are atrophing now. Cramping and twitching. My right side (the side that was atrophed) is getting more frequent.
The problem as I stated in past posts ,is that my husband is very emothionally abuseive. He leaves me frustrated and lonley and feeling like I am a total loser. He knows that I am sick and he does not care. He expectes me do all the realtional mending. i am not capable.He never admits to being wrong. I am supposed to start working on Mon. I had to tell my dr to let me go back to work to save my med benefits. I cannot survive without them. I need to leave my husband but I am afraid. I have been married for 21 years. He is threathning to take my children because I am sick and feels I cannot care for them. I am so lost. I do not need this on top of all I am going through.. I have prayed no answers yet. any suggestions>
Thanks for letting me vent
Robin

Hello Happy

Sorry you're not in better spirits. I hope as this day has gone on, things have gotten better for you. A couple of questions for you:

1) I think you said you had pain initially, right? What did that pain feel like?

2) Is atrophy only on one side of your body and was the atrophy slow or fast?

3) Could the atrophy in your calves be from disuse?

Hi Robin- It sounds like you've made a good plan for yourself. You deserve better treatment than to take abuse for another year. the folks round here are warm and supportive so feel free to vent anytime. Everyone will encourage you to take the necessary steps to build a better life for yourself and your children, too. trouble is you may need some face-to-face support.

Are you still going to AA meetings? I hope so. And if you PM me more about your location I bet we can find some women's support and/or victim support services in your area. A better life is waiting for you-one step at a time! cordially, Cindy

Hi Robin! So sorry to hear you are still having problems, and for your husband to be behaving like a total loser, it makes matters worse. I pray to God that you will find a solution, such as to get away from this man, and try to keep your family together (you and your children). There has got to be a way! After 21 years, I doubt it very much this man will change. I hate to ask you bluntly, but are you still drinking? It seems to me I have exchanged posts with you before. If you are the same person, you need to give up drinking, again, just like the abusive treatment from your husband, this drinking is only adding to your problems. Pull yourself out of it before you hit rock bottom. Robin,I, in no way, am trying to be disrespectful towards you, I am only trying to help you. May God bless you, and I hope I will be reading something more soothing about you in the near future. Good luck!

Irma

Hey Robin- this place might be a good place to start taking charge of your life.

http://www.citrusheights.net/home/index

They might not have exactly what you need but they might be able to point you to some other agency if they can't help...

Thank you Wright, Irma and sweet Cindy,

No, I have not been drinking. The last time my symptoms began I started drinking again after about 1 year of soberity. I felt I could not handle the pain that life had dealt me. But shortly after the drinking, I checked myself into a 30 day program. Even though I am greatly disturbed, I am sober. I have been going to a thearepst. But the emothional abuse is starting to get to me. That combined with my physical symptoms and the emotional state thAT i am in is making my life very difficult.

Wright, I did have pain in June of 07 in my neck and shoulder. It was very severe for about two weeks. That's the confusing part. But since then, no pain, just stiffening aggrevating sensation. Atrophy, in arm and hand. For the last 11 months no pain, stiffness atrophy, increasing twitching, fatigue, all tests were normal, my emg showed denervation in my atrophed hand and arm. My neurologist says he has no idea what is wrong with me. Now, my calves are cramping and twitching and begining to atrophy. I am supposed to go back to work on Mon. I am a secretary for the emergency dept in a very busy mid town hosp I am scared..

I need to muster all the strength I can to live and do a good job, I do not have a choice. This is the hardest thing I have ever been faced with.
Thank you for your concern, I really am thank ful for this forum,
robin

Hello again Happy

What kind of pain was it initially? Was it aching . . . cramping . . . dull . . . sharp . . . burning . . . etc.

When did you get fasics?

The atrophy in your calves: are you sure it isn't due to disuse?

P.S.

Is the atrophy just in one arm?

What muscles were found to be denervated?

my neuro did the emg in the arm that was atrophyed, those were found to be denervated he also did it in my neck which was normal. He did not do it in my legs or my stomach where I have had increasing twitching.

sorry, yes the atrophy is just in the left arm and from the tricep (shoulder seems to be okay for now) all the way down to the hand. The muscle between the forefinger and thumb is gone.

Sorry to keep asking you questions in new posts, but you forgot to tell me what type of pain it was that you felt in the beginning:

Was it aching . . . cramping . . . burning . . . ? Was it constant or intermittent?

Robin,

Try and get yourself together and go back to work, it might help take your mind off of things. You might even feel a little better being around other people.
Did you ever stop to think that your husband might be abusive because he is trying to get you to drink again.... and turn your kids on you in a manipulative way.
Sometimes people try to push other peoples buttons so they don't look like the bad guy..... it is a very common thing.

Wright, in the begining it was burning intermittent. Then no pain just stiff, burning. If that makes sense?

Crystal, I know he is trying to make himself look better than me, he has already admited that he knew I was stronger than he was and he used me to do all the things he could not do he admited that to me. I have been seriously betrayed...it hurts so bad.
I feel suicidal today..I am so weary of this fight there are too many things that I am dealing with. I am only one person trying to do the right thing always. I cannot take anymore.

happy,

Why don't you call the # Cindy gave you, maybe they can help.
How old are your children? I wouldn't worry about being betrayed by him right now.
You need to worry about yourself and your children. Go to a AA meeting, it might help or call a friend and go have a cup of coffee......Just getting out of the house might make you feel better.

If the burning pain is still there, then that is indicative of some type of neuropathy. I think you should call your neuro and let him know about the new symptoms you are having with your calves, although it could be disuse atrophy, especially if you're seeing in both calves. Take care of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back