Status
Not open for further replies.
Cindy,

I tried the website you gave, both by double clicking on it and by cutting and pasting in on the address bar. Neither one worked. Is there another address or does this need a correction? Or....? Peg

HI,

It worked when I just used the beginning of the address to net.

http://www.citrusheights.net

The rest automatically filled in. I thought I would see what it offered for Robin. Thanks, Peg

Robyn:

If you are suicidal, it is time to call someone (suicide hotline, perhaps). As you know, we are all here to help and we don't want you to do anything to yourself.

Sorry, vmd! It's not Crystal that is being suicidal, it's Robin.

Irma

Thanks, Irma, I corrected my mistake.

(sign) That link worked yesterday! Apparently the agency does not have a site of their own. Here is their name and address:

Citrus Heights Women's Center
7250 Auburn Blvd
Citrus Heights, CA 95610
(916) 728-5613‎

I put in a search in the Orangeville area for women's support services and the name came up as an agency that helps abused women. Robin, I don't know if they are near you but they should be able to provide some direction.

Pat- thanks for finding that the link does not work!

Hi, Robin ... I'm brand new to this forum (and to ALS), but I am wondering ... since you say you're in AA ... do you have a sponsor you can turn to? She can't give you medical advice, of course, but will be able to help you cope with some of the very stressful situations in your life.

Whether you have a sponsor yet or not, I second the motion that you get to a meeting ASAP. Open up and let people know what's going on. If you don't want to share in an open meeting, then talk after the meeting to individuals. Force yourself to reach out, and get phone numbers of people to call.

Good luck,
Beth U.

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your reply. No, right now I do not have a sponser. I have not been going to meetings lately. I used to go, but then when I started getting sick I went to a therapist instead. I just felt like what i was going through was way too deep for the general public and didn't want to dump such a heavy load.

I read your profile and saw that you were first diagosed with Myestanis(sp) Gravis. At what point did they decide that you had ALS? I hope I am not getting too personal. Just curious because my doctor mentioned MG and Parsonage Turner...but like I have mentioned in other posts some of my symptoms just don't line up to those two diseases.

Again, thanks for spending your first post on me. I am grateful.

Robin

Welcome to the forum, Beth. I am glad you decided to join us! Cindy

Hi, Robin ...
Haven't quite figured out this "reply" system yet ... I posted a previous reply and I don't think it went through.

I've seen 6 neurologists! My symptoms started 26 months ago when I came out of open-heart surgery with slurred speech, very blurred vision that soon became double vision, too, & shortness of breath. Nine months later, I developed swallowing problems.

1st neurologist said it was a stroke during surgery. 2nd said it was Progressive Supranuclear Palsy! (That is related to Parkinson ... nothing like what I have.)

A year ago, the left side of my face froze up and I developed the "myasthenia snarl" when I tried to smile. This has eased up a bit and my expression is more normal now.
For six months, I could not tolerate certain odors (cinnamon) or spicy flavors, but that's gone away too. Also, my blurred vision has stabilized since last October, although it gets bad again when I'm tired ... but the double vision is just not going away. I may have to break down and get an eye patch for reading.

Went into respiratory arrest December 2007, with entubation in the hospital. Then saw a 3rd neurologist in January who said I had "classic Myasthenia Gravis" and there was "no way" it was ALS.

He prescribed mestinon, which immediately gave me a lot of energy and much more muscular strength. I was limp as a noodle one day, then started the mestinon and was carrying heavy boxes of books around all the next day. But it has not helped my other symptoms AT ALL. Except maybe my swallowing. It has improved a little in the past fewweeks.

Two months ago, in March, I went to a free MG Foundation clinic at a teaching hospital for consultation, and the first guy I saw (a resident) said it was not MG, it was ALS. Then his supervisor, a clinical professor, came in and said it was not ALS, and was "probably MG, but maybe something else was going on too." He said I had too much mobility for ALS.

Last week, I returned to the same clinic for an EMG test, and the neuro who did it (this was another new guy ... neuro #6) said it was ALS, "no ifs ands or buts." (His written report said they found denervation in 3 out of 10 sites they tested ... which is also consistent with MG. However, he was much more nuanced in the written report than he had been in the exam room.)

I will apparently be going to the UCLA neuromuscular clinic for further evaluation and management of my symptoms. All the tests necessary to eliminate MG have not been done, so maybe those will happen, or maybe #6 is so sure it's ALS he doesn't want to bother do them.

Anyway, the score is now 1 neurologist for stroke, 1 for PSP, 2 for ALS, 2 for MG. But I have a hunch it is ALS, because I have tongue fasciculations and (I think) some muscle loss in the tongue. You don't get either one with MG ... but especially, you don't lose muscle mass.

But as of today, the symptoms are still restricted to the area from my lungs up, although I get cramps in a finger on each hand occasionally. (That's probably a side effect of mestinon, which produces cramps) I still feel great, do treadmill 3x a week and Pilates once a week, drive (except when my eyesight gets too blurry), and am pretty active for a 72-year-old! Have lost 25 pounds since it all began, but have held my weight steady since January. My appetite is slowly improving, and I have learned some tricks for adding calories, using the correct head position when swallowing, etc.

Had lung function tests last week, and my lung capacity was well above average for my age/weight on most of the tests, so that is good news. Swallowing studies show I'm not aspirating liquids into my lungs, although I have to sip liquids very carefully.

Biggest problems remain really, really terrible speech, difficulty swallowing, and the double (sometimes blurred) vision. So we'll see what the next neuro says at the new clinic.

I find it is helping a lot to take it "one day at a time." One MINUTE at a time! When I start worrying about the future, I ask myself, "OK, but how are you doing right this very minute?" And I take inventory and usually, I'm in a good place, functioning pretty well and feeling OK.

But ... I am concerned about you, Robin, and your situation, and I hope you will get a sponsor soon, and find a home group where you are comfortable, and where you can let people get to know you and what you are dealing with. Perhaps a closed woman's group would help you open up and let people know you need help.

You don't need a sponsor for advice about the medical stuff, but to work with you on the steps in AA and in sharing very practical ways to get through difficult days. You have so much on your plate to deal with ... but you don't have to go through this alone!

Remember alcoholism is a killer disease, too. It is deadly serious, and should not be put on the back-burner. If you practice the steps, you'll find that the AA tools will work in every situation in your life: staying sober, coping with your husband, helping your children, your work, dealing with ALS, whatever life throws at you. So, "take action" and reach out.

And please, take good care of yourself!
Beth

(Sorry this is so long!)

Beth,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I did not look at this post and did not know you had written back. Anyway, I feel so badly for you. You have had one very long and horrible journey to take. I am happy to hear that you are able to work out ,I know that helps the mental state. I miss working out. You have had many medical opinions, that has to be frustrating. I thought before all of this stuff starting affecting me, was that all you had to do was go to the dr. and he would fix it. Boy, was I ever wrong.
I have been dealing with feeling strange and out of sorts for the last year. Atrophy, extreme fatigue, loss of mobility in my hand, stiffness and cramping. I am not used to feeling this down. I used to teach aerobics 12 a week at one point. very, very active. Now, I am tired all the time, depressed because of my physical limitations and feeling very trapped.

I don't know if you read back to old posts, but a couple of months ago when my symptoms really started to affect my lifestyle, I started drinking again. It became a daily ordeal. after about 3 weeks I checked my self into Saint Helena in Napa. I was there for 30 days. I came out feeling alot better. Some times this whole situation just gets to me and I lose it. The situation with my husband has been a trying one for many years, this is nothing new. I know I should go to meetings and get a sponsor locally, but I justified that I did not want to burden them with this mess. So instead, I went to a therapist. He is really good. I see him once a week and he's helping me with everything. He does think that I need to go to meetings. I believe it is time for me to listen to the wisdom of the masses. I may be down for a moment, but I have never been one to give up. This will not get the best of me either. Sometimes it just takes time for me (more for me than usual-thick headed) to adjust. It sounds to me like you are the same. It takes a very strong person to go through what you have been through and still feel like going to the gym and be a participant in life. I want to be like that, I will be like that! I am sure you have already discovered the many people on this forum who are amazing, I hang out here to glean from their strength. I need it right now.

I started back to work on Mon and it was really hard. I am so tired and have not been able to sleep well due to hand issues. But I hope this will resolve itself one way or the other. I think I will ask my dr about that medicine that you mentioned for energy and strenght. I wonder if he will give it to me. what is it usually prescribed for? I have never heard of it. Did it make you stay awake at night? Oh well, anything is better than being this tired all the time, right?

Thanks again for your concern. You can pm me anytime.
Take care
Robin

Robin ... thanks for your reply. It must be very, very hard to go from being so active ... and with so many responsibilities and challenges! ... to dealing with all this, but it sounds like you've got the determination to hang tough. And I know from personal experience that therapy can do wonders. Sounds like you are taking the right steps to keep going. You've clearly got good survival skills!

Mestinon is prescribed for Myasthenia Gravis, and is not supposed to work with anything else. With MG there is a blockage between the messages from the brain to the muscles, but both are otherwise OK. (The brain keeps sending the right signals, and the muscles stay healthy, but the signals don't get through.) MG is an auto-immune disease like lupus, etc. The immune system produces antibodies that block the messages from the brain ... and mestinon briefly helps blocks the antibodies. With ALS, as far as I understand it, the brain actually stops sending the right messages and the muscles deteriorate.

But both conditions make you very weak and tired, and symptoms overlap. And mestinon PRODUCES twitchs and cramps as a side effect, so things can get very confusing when you're taking it. There are blood tests that can determine if the body is producing these MG antibodies, but there are several different antibodies that can do this, and a small percentage of MG cases can't be detected by blood tests. So it's a very gray area ...

Mestinon doesn't help my bulbar symptoms much, but when they started me on it in January, it produced a marked improvement in my strength and energy. (Actually, it did help the other symptoms for two days ... my speech cleared up dramatically, but then there were interactions with other meds I was taking, and I had to stop the mestinon for a while. And it's never had that effect since.) I *think* it may be helping my swallowing/choking now, too, but that could be all in my head, as I am still in a state of denial about ALS. I can convince myself of almost anything !

When things calm down a bit (only diagnosed with ALS for a week and a half now, and there's tons of paperwork and interviews to get through, plus projects I was working on that I am trying to complete, because it feels like I must do everything RIGHT NOW while I am able!), I may stop the mestinon and see if my energy really goes downhill again. At the moment, I'm clinging to it like a lifeboat!

The neuros have not yet ruled out MG by tests ... my EMG results could be either MG or ALS ... and some of my worst symptoms are characteristic of MG ... blurred and double vision, sudden respiratory failure which I recovered from, etc. That's called "myastenia crisis," and from what I've been told, it is not characteristic of ALS. However, if this is MG, the mestinon should have helped more than it has with my speech. And the last neuro was VERY, VERY sure I've got ALS.

Problem is, everyone is different and all these conditions seem to be so hard for doctors to sort out. So ... it's just one baby step at a time!

Hang in there, Robin ... I've been thinking about you, and sending good vibes your way!
Beth

Thanks Beth, I was thinking about you too....good vibes your way also. :mrgreen: Have a great day! I'm off to work.

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back