Other
Country
US
State
DC
City
Washington
Hi,

Maybe I'm being hypersensitive to everything that's going on in my body - maybe I'm just getting "old" (I just turned 32) and don't know how my body is supposed to feel.

I was running pretty well the last few months, training for my half marathon. I sprained my ankle and took about 2 weeks off. My legs feel heavy, my lung capacity is bad, and my legs cramp up pretty quickly. I've taken time off running before, but never experienced this much fatigue, and reduction in ability in such a short time.

When I go to stretch, I am extremely tight, but when I do stretches that I normally feel in my muscles, I don't feel the pull anymore. For example, I can feel that my calf is tight, but when I go to stretch it, I feel no pull.

Holding onto anything is becoming, not difficult, but feels weird. I went to paint on Saturday, and holding onto the paint brush felt weird. Like I could hold onto it, but it felt like a fading effort, and some cramping. Sometimes, I drop my phone while holding it.

When I walk, I feel like I'm forcing it. That my quads are ready to give out. Right above my knee, they seem to be fatiguing within a block of walking. And this is someone who's ran since I was 12.

Holding anything up for a very long time is tiring - brushing my hair is an effort to try to get a few brushes in before my arm tires and cramps.

I'm just freaked that in just a few short weeks, everything is so much harder. Is this the beginning?

No, but you could have a virus or other systemic illness, be deconditioned, or have nothing wrong at all. Did anything else change around the sprain?

After looking at your sleep, seating, stretching regimen, stress, diet, hydration, allergies, etc., if you still feel that you can't do what you could before the sprain, see your internist for an exam and possibly blood work. But you're 32 and all odds are that there is nothing serious. You certainly have said nothing that makes us think of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back