Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Cambridge
Could anyone help me? I have ulcerative colitis and in July 2005 I had a flare up and then in Sept 2005 I developed this pressure in the back of my head and neck. I was prescibed prednisone for my colitis and my colitis went into remission but my head pressure remained and felt better when I wore a hat. for the last 10-12 months my head pressure and colitis came back and I started experiencing twitches in my calf and I was on prednisone again but losing weight. I've had 2 EMG's last one in FEb 2009 and both came back normal. My head pressure is worse and my fingers are sore and I've lost muscle tone in my arms and legs plus my neck is stiff and grinds when I move it. All my muscles in my body are sore and my mouth is extremely dry. I can walk even though I have numbness in my legs. My concern is my colitis is active and the doctor wants to try Remicade injections to put my colitis back into remission. Even though I'm bleeding a lot from my rectum my head bothers me more and I wake up each day with numbness in my limbs mostly my right hand. I recently started to have a sore throat without having a cold. Nothing seems to relieve my head pressure, I've tried everything> My muscles have this burning feeling which I havn't experienced before> Could anyone shed any light if this could be ALS

That doesn't sound like "typical" ALS symptoms at all. Have you had head and neck MRI's? I'd be looking there first.

AL.

Hi, head pressure and numbness are not ALS symptoms. If you are still worried then try to get in to see an ALS neurologist. But with 2 EMG's coming back as normal I would put ALS out of your mind.

Thank you for your replies. I did have a MRI on my head and it came back mormal. I haven't had a MRI on my neck. In the morning my body shakes for about 20 minutes, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I don't know what is happening to my body

I'd bet the farm that you don't have ALS. Shakes is not a symptom of ALS.

AL

Hi Trevor--

It definitely sounds like you have something going on, but as the two gentlemen above who are much more informed about ALS have said, it doesn't sound like ALS is the culprit. Try not to worry about ALS too much or you may find anxiety contributing new, hard to define symptoms.

Have you looked into the possibility of your body having a bad reaction to prednisone? I had to take that stuff years ago as part of cancer treatment, and the side effects for that stuff are numerous and varied. I try not to use Dr. Google often, but a quick search for prednisone side effects just turned up "unnatural fatigue or weakness." Explore all of your symptoms with your doctor and hopefully you'll find some answers soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back