Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Philadelphia
I was dealing with some pretty bad health anxiety this past week, of course after watching the VICE news piece on ALS and an HBO movie called “Jenifer.”

I’m very sure I don’t have it now because I’ve only been experiencing a feeling of weakness, primarily in the hands, that sometimes is felt in the arms as well. I’m not sure what it could actually be. It’s just a feeling of tiredness and a wore down feeling. I also drop things and seem to have trouble cutting things with a knife, but I attribute that now to anxiety and just... being alive.

From what I’ve read, ALS isn’t something a person experiencing it feels much at all. Many sense intense and relentless muscle twitching, but other than that, ALS doesn’t cause any sensory symptoms. It’s defined by not being able to do something. Not being able to do something with less success, or finding that action more difficult. It’s a failure in doing the action. Almost none of the people asking if they have this are unable to do anything and I think that’s pretty telling.

Anyway, I’ve learned all this because the wonderful people at this forum who either have this disease or care for someone who does have been very helpful about detailing what the symptoms are actually like, and how they differ from the vague ones a google search might bring on.

I just wish there was more I could do to help you all fight this. I don’t have a lot of money to donate to any cause, but maybe volunteering in some way would make me feel like I’m helping. What do you suggest?

And again, I just want to thank you for putting my mind at ease and making me realize life is precious and I should cherish each moment more. I’ve been much nicer and kinder to people this week and haven’t been letting myself be mean and negative, because you never know what the future holds. I just wanted to say thank you and I feel a sense of love for everyone here, as silly as that sounds. I’m sorry if this post was pointless. I wish there was more I could do.

I did want to know about how hyperreflexia presents itself. Having an anxious personality disorder, just being very anxious at all times, has always caused my movements to be a little weird at times. Sometimes when I go to grab something it’s like my hand will panic and drop it, or spring back for a second before completing the action. It’s like doing a double take by with my hand lol. Is this normal? It seems like a reflex thing, but I doubt that. I’ve read nothing about anything like that.

Sounds like you need to speak with a physio. They can explain how a body responds to stimuli in various situations. As an anxious person, you will likely respond like you're on high alert. Hyperreflexia is a pathological response to normal stimuli and can only be diagnosed by a clinician. It's not super fast reflexes.

We are not here to satisfy curiosity though- a physiotherapist is probably your best bet.

As Shiftkicker said, your Best bet is to discuss this with a clinician.

ESPECIALLY as you have healthy anxiety.

If you need more of a impetus toward that end, please consider:
- Some of us are replying to you via character-at-a-time eye-gaze (ie. laborious), and
- Others are full-time (24/7) caregivers.

In other words, our time is precious and limited. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back