Lifeissuch

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SG
Hi All

Keeping it short for easy read and reply.
I am 33, Male and currently residing in Singapore.
Recently, in the last 1 month, I had some sort of dysphagia where food residue will get stuck in my throat (near larynx - adam apple area). This occurs everytime I swallow solids. No issues with liquids or pastes previously.
Just today, in addition to above, I woke up having bad nasal regurgitation whenever I take in liquids. No issues with speech.

Consultation History in Chrono order:
1) Went to ENT, performed nasal scope, no visible structural problems, ordered a swallow test but only able to be done in May
2) Went to Neuro, performed MRI of neck and head with no abnormalities, basic limb-eye-tongue coordination checked, recommended to go back to ENT
3) Went back to ENT and diagnosed me with LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux - akin to GERD but higher up)

Does anyone think bulbar onset would present itself like this?
What further diagnostic tests are recommended?

Thank you for your precious time and advice.

Of course, not a doctor. I have bulbar-onset.

Two thoughts. First it was more than that the one symptom area that I had that pre-dated my diagnosis. Second, unlike your GERD diagnosis, I had no alternate diagnoses that could explain my multiple symptoms. EMG was the final test that contributed to my diagnosis. Good luck to you.

Ron, the OP was not diagnosed with GERD, but with LPR.

Singapore, here is a good summary of suggestions for dealing with LPR. It is not ALS or related to it.

Best,
Laurie

As much as I don’t want to doubt the expertise of doctors (as I’m not medically trained), the longer I feel like my symptoms don’t match the diagnosis, the more anxious I get. I will have to see the doctor again.

Its like do I prepare for recovery or do I prepare for the worst. My optimistic spirit has been beaten.

Prepare for recovery - you now have 3 members of this forum telling you that your symptoms don't match a concern for ALS.
Continue working with your doctors who can examine you physically and I wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back