Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New England
City
Anytown
So it is a lovely fall day here in New England. My right foot has been dropping lately, but not all the time and if I concentrate I can control it though my ankle gets tired. So, seeing the writing on the wall, I decided to take Sam (our English Mastiff) for a walk in the woods. I don't always have the arm strength to control him so we stopped at Petco to buy a harness and retractable leash. Then we were off!

We found a lovely trail by the cranberry bogs. The farmer had recently harvested and it was fun to see piles of tiny brown leaves dotted with brigh red cranberry scraps. Sam was delighted.

And I forgot to pay attention. So I went down like a sack of bricks. And now I am laid up with a sprained ankle. On the way home I said a few choice words. (You church-going folks can be glad you were not within earshot.) My daughter had to drive and she kept glancing over with a bemused look. I don't think she ever heard her Mom use that kind of language before.

When we got home Lee asked if I wanted tylenol and I said "Only if you are serving it with gin!"

Hey Cindy. Tylenol goes better with red wine. Merlot preferably. Sorry about your mishap. We have 2 Border Collies one rough coat big guy and a smaller smooth coat prick eared guy. I would not even think about trying to walk them on a leash even on pavement let alone in the woods although I'd love to be able to do it. As some say. God looks after fools and little children. We just have to figure which category we are in. Hope you're feeling better. AL.

Well all 4 of my brothers-in-law have reminded me that when I married Lee I didn't exactly marry Florence Nightingale but last night he showed that he is willing and capable of being a primary caregiver if the need arises. (Knock on wooden head.)

We'd had this discussion-his brothers and I- because one day it dawned on me that in 25 years of marriage, the only meal he has ever produced is scrambled eggs and fried baloney. (Oh dear.) Should I become dependant on Lee for any help we had best hire caregivers and apply to the commonwealth for assistance.

The moment this thought entered my head I went right into the TV room and interrupted the game. "Don't think," I declared, "that if I become disabled and you have to cook suppers, don't think I am going to live on scrambled eggs and fried baloney every night!"

Lee never missed a beat. It's like he follows my silent thoughts sometimes. He looked up from the TV and said, "If you become disabled you will not be in a position to argue. That's exactly what I intend to serve. And for breakfast as well. For lunch you will get peanut butter."

But last night he got the tylenol without complaint and even found it without help. And yes, Al, he actually did serve it with merlot!

Cindy -

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I don't think it was stupid to go for the walk, though. Hang in there.

Liz

Thanks Liz. It's only a sprain and not too bad. I'm still going to keep trying to train Sam to stay with me and not get underfoot or go off on his own. If I need a scooter someday he will be my buddy! But it was dumb to forget that I need to think before I step. As my Mom would say, I was never too good at thinking before speaking so I suppose it will take just as much practice to think before I take a step! Oh well. Still haven't figured out if I fall into the "fools" or "children" category, Al. Maybe a little of both!

See Tylenol with Merlot. There is hope for Lee yet. Have a good day. AL.

I agree! Anytime he gives me Tylenol with Merlot rather than scrambled eggs with fried baloney is a good day for me! They are all here watching the game today. It is nice to have everybody nearby though I have to confess I don't know much about football. Enjoy your afternoon!

Hi Cindy -

Back on your feet yet? The thought of having to eat scrambled eggs and fried baloney would sure cure me quick. :)

Liz:)

Thanks Liz. I needed the laugh! Oh and by the way, I totally agree that a diet of fried baloney is motivation for lots of things! I offered to learn about football so we could watch the game together if he would take a class in cooking and he laughed and laughed and laughed. Well-I'm hobbling around now so we're safe for the nonce.

I have to say, walking my dog (lab mix, name Lucky) is one of the great pleasures in my life. I will continue doing it as long as I am able. So Hang in there, you did NOT do a "stupid" thing!

I agree... I think you have to do what you like to as long as you can... after that you can hire out! Keep in mind that Al should not cut your lawn if you like to do that!

T.

I remember that post about cutting the lawn. It was right up there, giggle-wise, with the one from MT Pockets about loading the boat in the water.

Wise guy. The newness must be gone from the marriage. You have time to come here to rabble rouse. Good to see you. AL.

And thanks, everybody, for reminding me I am not stupid.

Al:
I'm just happy not to get zapped from time to time! Marriage was easy, amalgamating two households is ongoing and takes up much of my non-work related time.
By the way, have been down with the flu... and my Tylenol goes down with an Okanagan Pinot Noir!

Back to you soon.
T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back