I can't breath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nebulizer and use Albuterol. But I frequently get a snot ball that feels like I can't swallow it and it makes me sound funny. I can't cough or hawk it out anymore. If I use musinex, I get too dried out on the BiPap. Would the suction thing get that snot?

Yes, you can put the tip of the wand up your nostril and suction. My pals is on a vent and I have a regular and portable suction machine. I have several wands. You can use it for excess saliva - not very often for him - thank goodness. He's a big gagger so this can be a challenge at times.

Debbie

Tracy, yes the suction machine can get it out. Pretty much anything liquidy you can get the wand in contact with it will suck out. The wand has a diameter of a fat straw with a slight bend on the end

Thanks for the reminder everyone. I will have them check on both of them for my dad as well.

I'll ask about it when I go to clinic in September. Thanks for the info.

Tracy

Janie, hoping you have the cough assist suction at this point! My mom ws diagnosed Nov 18,2013 and her breathing has now decreased to 21%, and her weight is 93lbs..neurologist recommended her using her bi-pap throughout the day to assist w her retaining energy, however today she told me, I'm not using it during the day, and I quote..that is that..trying to find my way between respecting her wishes and not freaking out! hoping that someone who is living it, well living it first hand rather, b/c we're all living it, but a PALS can give me some guidance on what to do next, and to see if nothing at all is the right answer..i don't want to upset her and "get on to her about it " if you will, but don't wan to sit back and watch her demise

Allformom, has she been using nasal pillows during the day or a full face mask. The mask can be irritating during the day as it interferes with normal conversation, sipping liquids and such. Not to mention the fact that you have a hose dangling in front of you. That being said, if she's tried the pillows and still rejects it, in my opinion, I think you should respect her wishes. It won't hurt to insure she knows about the options.

Allformom I do have the cough assist and use it every day, I would be interested in the suction , I get stuff stuck and it won't go up or down. The T that hooks my nebulizer and trilogy machine together has made a big difference.

Janie

Glad to hear it is helping! I can only imagine how frightening it must feel when your short of breath or how annoying when something won't clear out of your throat !

Dalvin, she has never used it throughout the day only at night and when she naps. Recommendation was that she start however she is 100% opposed to it. I haven't brought it up since. Her bulbar symptom onset was pretty early on so she can no longer speak or really eat anything without choking but I never thought of the nasal pillows! Bc I'm sure the mask is more than irritating at times. I'm going to pose that idea to her she how she feels ab that and then just leave it alone. Thanks so much!

It's hard as a CALS to know what would help our pals and respecting their wishes at the same time. Thinking of you.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back