Reason
Other
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
For the past 2 and a half weeks my life has felt like a complete nightmare. In late September I started a different workout for the first time in a long time, bar lunges, everything was fine and then a few days later my legs started twitching. At first i nudged it off and just frowned upon it but didn't really think much of it.

These twitches were later accompanied by pain in my legs, which later went away, but i noticed that i have pain in my lower back as well which has since spread to my mid back. I twitch like crazy at night. I went to see a doctor who at first just nudged it off, went back the next week and he did some blood work to check my creatine levels and my ada levels or something. (To measure inflammation.) It all came back normal.

The twitches have continued to persist and now i can feel twitches in my arms. The spread of the twitches has continued to scare me. Went to a spine doctor who basically tested my reflexes and basic strength. I passed. He examined my back and just told me not to worry and take a muscle relaxer. (I just started today) I asked him about the possibility of being a neurological problem and he told me not to worry about it.

I am still twitching and have become increasingly more concerned. I am 20 years old and know how ridiculously unlikely it is for me to develop ALS. And so quickly at that. Im sorry to post this as it may seem totally stupid because i feel stupid but this constant twitching has been killing me. Could this be the beginning of something or am I just filled with anxiety and need to chill out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely, you tweaked your back doing the lunges and other parts of your body are twitching in sympathy. If it persists and worsens, and/or you have tingling/numbness, I would certainly press for a spine study and PT evaluation. In all likelihood, the spine doc is right, but you should always know when to follow up just in case.

Did the docs see the twitches of which you speak? Did they ask you to bend your back/stretch?

You might try heat, massage by a qualified MT, gentle stretching, and lay off the lunges for a while.

Yes, the doctor did have me bend back and forward. It was normal and it felt fine. Im not sure if Im at a stage where i need to worry or simply just blow it off. I know how statistically improbable it is to develop this condition and the fact that I don't have any family history makes it even more unlikely. One other thing i would not is that the twitching just comes and goes. If im outdoors doing something or walking to class, i never feel the twitches. But once my body is at rest, like laying down flat on my back or sitting down, it does tend become more noticeable. And to answer your question no my doctors did not notice any twitching on my body.

John, you're good to go. You hurt your back. I don't know how you got to thinking about ALS (and I don't care). Good luck getting fixed up. Read the link Shiftkicker gave you.

To directly answer your concern--you don't have any ALS and you never will--those are the odds. Blow it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back