Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PT
State
LX
Hello everyone. First of all I would like to apologize for wasting your time. I suffer from health anxiety and I have a lot of panic attacks because of my fear of getting diseases. I am 19 years old and I know it's really rare at my age to have ALS but I can't stop thinking about this.

For the last 3 days I'm having muscle twitches in my feet, legs, arms and hands. It's something that comes and goes. I feel fatigue but I don't feel weak (I don't have problems walking, talking or grabbing stuff). I walked 22km (about 13 miles) and people tell me my feet and leg twitching may be caused by it, because I don't usually walk that much. But I'm still worried because that doesn't explain the hand twitching. I'm getting so scared. Please help.

Well, actually a long walk when you don't usually walk that much can cause twitches anywhere. Your body tries to draw on fuel and support that you don't have in reserve, essentially.

Do some stretching, drink some juice, take a hot shower, get some sleep. You have nothing to worry about. But if the panic attacks are bothering you and keeping you from a full life, instead of thinking about ALS, think about how you will better deal with the panic and fear so it does not ruin your life.

Please talk with a parent, friend, counselor or teacher about this, and keep talking until you get the help you need. There are also online health anxiety groups and chat rooms. Many teens have been in this position and have overcome what you are facing.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for the reply! I'm in a therapist and I'm working on it. The last few weeks I couldn't go because of college and work, and I have been worse since then. Hopefully I will get better.

Hey again. I was feeling so much better in the last couple of days because the twitch stopped, but not I'm feeling non-stop twitching on my elbow. I'm so scared... It happens mostly when my arm is bending (sorry for my English but like when you are writing, using the computer...) and I don't know it just doesn't stop.

Again, there is nothing to worry about. We cannot help you worry less here. You must find someone to talk with where you are. Try to think about it as hitting your toe on a rock. You don't freak out because it hurts, because you know it will pass. The twitches will pass when you learn not to notice them. Someone else can help you learn this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back