I am 27F and experiencing concerning symptoms for 5 months..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngmumworried

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
SA
City
Adelaide
Hi everyone I am sorry too come here and post asking these questions I am just very concerned and need some advice based on your own experiences.

The story is 5 months ago when I was 20 weeks pregnant I started to experience some little twitches in my left and right shoulder in the same spot every time. I thought nothing of this
The twitching had persisted and spread too my left calf. Occasional twitches also in right calf always in the same muscle spots.
Again I brushed this off as pregnancy related.
I had taken magnesium and had my levels tested all normal.
The twitching is consistent and has not stopped since that time I am now 3 weeks postpartum and the twitching is getting worse mostly now in my left leg and shoulder also started about my left kneecap.
What has lead me here is I am on the list for new patient with a neuro but that is 2 months away.
I am most concerned as you cannot see my twitches but can feel them if you put your hand on them, the little twitches only twitch for one second and feel like a little pop or tap. The ones that last a bit longer feel more fluttery.

Just 5 days ago I noticed an abnormality in my feet that I haven’t had before. I am very scared it is atrophy of my left side. If I could get an opinion on the photos I would appreciate that.
I have perceived weakness in my left side I can’t balance on that foot as well and when I walk it feels a bit funny like there is no muscle underneath my foot and there is a dull crampy ache that’s not painful just uncomfortable in the arch of the foot that comes and goes.

I understand no one here can diagnose me and I am sorry too post. I am just a new mum freaking out that I will be leaving my baby and husband and hate that the neuro appointment will be so long away.
I appreciate anyone taking the time too read and respond too this. Thankyou

Attachments

• A2D327D5-164A-4099-94C8-A791A669C949.jpeg
    A2D327D5-164A-4099-94C8-A791A669C949.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 217
  • 9E5A09EA-C54D-4E9D-81D7-B3BA4896DEB7.jpeg
    9E5A09EA-C54D-4E9D-81D7-B3BA4896DEB7.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 226
  • 34A20EAA-58C4-49FD-96A5-54C9E850617F.jpeg
    34A20EAA-58C4-49FD-96A5-54C9E850617F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 223
  • D5581951-6994-4631-A9EC-B8AFC5215403.jpeg
    D5581951-6994-4631-A9EC-B8AFC5215403.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 219
  • 0C4C9223-5CBF-49DD-B567-B71F80665426.jpeg
    0C4C9223-5CBF-49DD-B567-B71F80665426.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 198
Have you been to see a physiotherapist or massage therapist? Pregnancy changes your body and there is a fair amount or rearrangement your lower back, pelvis and hips go through due to changes in weight, centre of gravity, ligaments softening, etc. A simple mechanical change can impinge on nerves and create all sorts of issues.

Assuming neurological issues might be jumping the gun unless you've explored all the ways pregnancy and new parenthood can strain the body. Twitches, as the Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms! post states, are common and happen to everyone.

I'd go see a physio for a full assessment- strength, alignment, etc- to see if you've got a mechanical issue going on that can be resolved.

Best of luck

Thankyou so much for your reply, I did not even consider a physiotherapist to be honest.

I will look into that and see if it can be resolved. My back does feel quite buggered after pregnancy and delivery.

I do suffer from a rare neurological disease already so I suppose my paranoia over neurological issues is sometimes too much at the forefront of my mind.

Again Thankyou for taking the time too read and respond.

Hi it’s me again,
I saw my PCP who did some basic strength tests which I passed, however he did measure my feet and calves and there is a half a centimetre difference between my feet and calf of the left and right sides.
The left side is smaller and also has some pretty violent twitches happening there everyday. Doc has ordered a MRI of brain and went too tell me he thinks I may have fat pad atrophy of my foot.

I am sorry too post again but I am very scared. I told him about how it started in pregnancy and can it be caused by my back he said maybe but not likely.

Next step for me I will Find a good physio.
For some reason I can’t get rid of this fear of MND. I really want a EMG but I am scared.

And sorry I actually meant too say half an inch not sure why I wrote centimetre. Must be that anxiety.

1/2 a centimeter? That is such an incredibly tiny difference and no one is symmetrical

ALS atrophy is muscle atrophy not “ fat pad” and occurs after significant weakness and loss of function. By all means see a PT but don’t worry

Atrophy can be from localized musculoskeletal issues. A certain degree of asymmetry is also normal in most people. Your symptoms don’t suggest ALS at all. But your anxiety has gotten the better of you. Please get help for your anxiety before it ruins you.

Thankyou for taking the time too reply. I really need too stay off google and try relax. I appreciate the help Thankyou.

thankyou for taking the time too respond too me karennwendyn. I think google is the worst thing and after googling both symptoms this is the only thing that comes up but you are right I very well could have a mechanical issue as I have just had a baby and gone through pregnancy. My anxiety does make this all a lot worse. I have a appointment for anxiety on Friday because it truly is ruining me atm. Again I appreciate your response and help.

Bless all of you helping strangers like me coming too this forum with countless questions about symptoms. Very kind thing you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back