Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Colorodo
City
Denver
Hello everyone, I just want to start off by saying that I know only a doctor can diagnose me with anything. I have also read the stickies and have a few questions about hypoflexia. I realize no one can diagnosis me with anything but a doctor. Like, what is it exactly and how is it diagnosed? And is it noticeable? I have severe health anxiety and am being treated for it with medication.

Anyways, Back in December I had started to notice full body twitching. I went to the doctor and was told that it was most likely a vitamin deficiency. I was extremely low in vitamin D and borderline B-12. The doctor even did a brief neuro exam, said everything looked good, as I had expressed my fears of ALS, but he said everything looked good. They had scheduled me a nerve conduction test, as I have been having pins and needles feelings in my hands that I’ve had for like two years. He said it is probably dude to carpel tunnel. I also have began noticing pins and needles sensation in my feet/lower legs.

I began taking spplament vitamin D and b-12. In March, I had a complete mental break down related to my health anxiety. My doctor put me on 10mg Lexapro and eventually upped my dose to 20mg. Eventually I started to get better and didn’t really notice the twitching too much. Now, the twitching is back and very noticeable. The twitching is now in my face and every part of my body. I’ve also began experiencing limb jerks. I can be laying down or sitting, and my leg or arm will jerk. It’s kind of startling and concerning to me, as this is new to me. Is this considered hyperflexia?!

I still have no noticeable astrophy or muscle weakness... Some one please tell me that I’m just making a mountain out of a molehill. I can’t go through another mental breakdown like the last. It’s just too much... i know hyperflexia is a symptom of ALS. I tried to research it and really couldn’t understand how ALS causes it. Someone please help. I have had an MRI of my brain and neck in March, which came back fine. I have also had a contrasted pelvic CT and numerous chest/spine X-rays, which also came back fine.

Should I make a visit to my doctor with these new symptoms? He doesn’t seem to be too concerned about ALS, and has chocked everything up to my health anxiety.

I think you should attend to your health anxiety and leave Dr. Google alone.

Edit:

and btw, as stated in the Stickies you read, Twitching means squat, nada, zip, goose egg.

Even healthy people twitch, sometimes a lot.

No, twitches that occur for no reason are not hyperreflexia. Unless they come in the company of something more sinister, they are just twitches.

Is someone following your vitamin D and B12 levels? Has an underlying cause for the B12 deficiency been found? Are you vegan?

Making sure your nutritional deficiencies are in hand is likely the best thing you can do for the twitching. But if you want an affirmation that twitching alone without atrophy or weakness isn't a sign of ALS, you have it.

I hope you are getting counseling in addition to Lexapro. If not, please do, for your own sake.

Best,
Laurie

Ash Done, in your third paragraph your wrote...

"I had a complete mental break down related to my health anxiety. My doctor put me on 10mg Lexapro and eventually upped my dose to 20m."

In your fourth paragraph you wrote...

"Some one please tell me that I’m just making a mountain out of a molehill. I can’t go through another mental breakdown like the last. It’s just too much."

Ash, supporting Greg's reply... stop Googling. None of your symptoms point to ALS.

Unless you work with your doctors addressing your anxiety... you will have another break down and possibly be admitted/committed for a considerable duration.

Help yourself before it gets forced upon you... stop Googling and reading this Forum.

PS I have a friend who had a severe mental break down, she was admitted to the hospital. I don't know the legalities of it but they kept her for 6 days. She wanted out after the second day, somehow they kept her. It was her first and only break down.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying. It wasn’t so much the twitching that concerned me, but the sudden spontaneous jerks that I’ve been getting. It feels like those jerks that suddenly wake you up from sleep, yet I’m awake. They’ve been happening while I’m laying or sitting down.

My doctor is suppose to be checking my bloods every few months for the vitamin defenciencies. I don’t get outside much and am not a big meat eater, which I would think is the causes. I’ve tried researching what exactly hypoflexia is and I don’t really understand it.

Yes, I also agree that I should stop googling and work with my doctor to get my anxiety under control. I was doing fine until the body jerking started happening.

Generalized body twitching for 6 months?

Hello everyone, this will be the last time that I post my concerns in this forum. I will be making a doctor appointment for my PCP today, and hopefully he will refer me to a neurologist. I understand that twitching generally means nothing, and is not used as a diagnostic way to diagnosis ALS.

Anyways, I am a 25 year old female. I have had generalities body wide twitching for 6 months now. I had already been to my doctor about it, and he didn’t seem too concerned about it. He did blood work and a brief neuro exam. The entire exam was fine but I did have extremely low vitamin D and borderline low b-12.

Here recently, I’ve began to develop body jerks. My hands also feel stiffer and weaker. I’ve had tingiling in my hands for two years, and just recently developed tingiling going down my legs as well. I know ALS is about failing not feeling. So that basically means nothing as well... My question is, with twitching for 6 months, would I have clinical weakness by now?

Mod note: merged threads. Ash, please keep posting in your original thread so people can follow your posts in a single thread. Please also refer to the three pinned threads at the top of the "Do I Have ALS?" subforum to familiarize yourself with the forum posting rules and other important information.

If you had ALS, you would have failure of some muscle function by now. But your symptoms point away from ALS — far, far away. You’re right to see a neurologist to find out what else may be going on, but you can be rest assured it’s not ALS. You will feel better if you get your vitamin D up as well.

So sorry about that. Next time I have a question, I’ll most certainly post in my original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back