Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
BR
State
ES
City
Vitoria
What are the symptoms of 'hyperreflexia'? Could I be able to notice it or just the doctor?

Best wishes!

I think only a doctor can tell you that. I have hyperreflexia, hoffman's and clonus. I didn't know but the dr. told me. I can tell you that if something bumps my legs it almost always jerks.

GGKK,

Hyperreflexia or "brisk reflexes" is a clinical observation, so no, you can't really self test.

I don't have hyperreflexia, but maybe one of the other forum members can comment on their perosnal expereice on related symptoms.

Take care,

Robert

Hyperflexxia are a umn symptom. I can tell you, that I can tell I have them, the startle reflex is so annoying. My jaw will just bang shut of no reason, and my legs will react if you touch anywhere on the leg lightly, and my arms uggh.. The clonus sometimes makes it hard to walk up and down steps from the movement. I personalyy noticied immediately something was wrong, you can feel the oddness of the pathological reflex.

I too have umn and hyper reflexes. When the phone rings I visibly jump and if I happen to knock my legs, say with my hands, I can feel the reaction in my legs big time. My neuro said my reflexes are REALLY brisk.

i echo hopingforcure and jennifers answers.
you can tell when you have hypereflexia or clonus.
my legs and muscles move on there own even if i try to keep them totally still.
hypereflexia interfears with co ordination causing clumsiness and problems with fine motor movement of the hands like ataxia.
clonus is easy to detect 1) by putting the heel of the foot on the floor and bending it towards the ankle or 2) sitting down lift the heel of the floor and putting pressure on the front of the foot.
in both cases the legs will shake uncontrollably in a rythmical fashion.
i very rarely had this in my hands as a result of clonus and it can look like a tremor.
also my jaw slams shut like hopings.

I recently walked about 200 yards on just my toes while fishing just to test myself.

My question is regarding Jaw reflex. You mention that you your jaw shuts very quickly. I'm worried mine might do the same thing My jaw muscles seem flexed all the time and somewhat tired. I've also been grinding my teeth much more at night. I know there can be an anxiety component with respect to this as well since I'm so worried all the time and constantly monitoring my movements so this might exagerate my jaw tightness.

What is the accurate test to look for hyperflexia of the the jaw?

Thanks and God Bless.

Jules

If you went to a neuro, they looked at it. They would have told you. I have a tight jaw feeling as well! When I chew it hurts sometimes. a few times I felt like my jaw is in a vice grip and it hurts to talk. The pain will go behind my ears as well. Did your neuro say that you had brisk reflexes? I think you would feel them. Last spring I felt it. If I even layed on my stomach, the area just above my knees felt funny. I had no idea then (as I did not research) and thought nothing of it. My doc then told me that I had brisk reflexes. If I talk and slap my hand on my leg it will kick up. I *think* that my reflexes feel a bit better, but I dont know if they are from a medical stand point. Maybe I am use to it, I dont know.

take care!

i and others with hyper jaw reflexes have spasms.
i get pain ,stiffness and weakness in my lower facial muscles/jaw.
the spasms have been so bad sometimes they physically distort my mouth,usually the right side.
the jaw slamming shut is a completely involintary abnormal distressing symptom.
many times i have caused serious injury to my tongue if it gets in the way,so have many others i know.
my lower facial muscles and chin area have dropped so much this past year.
physically my face has changed and i have uneven amounts of muscle loss.
the umn problems have effected my swallowing,chewing,throat muscles causing a strangled sesnsation and speech ,also tongue problems.

april
wow,i have had a strange feeling just above the knee since i got ill and always wondered if it was to do with the reflexes or not.
thanks for that info,you learn something new everyday :lol:
i do know that if i am sat with my legs crossed and rest one of my legs spread out accross the other that it will jump about uncontrollably.
when it does this my knees get weak and jutter.
does this sound familiar?

Olly~

Thank God, I had that on my knee when I got of the hosp for a few months but when I lay on my stomach these days I dont have it anymore. IT was wierd. I cross my legs but dont feel that feeling.? When I use to bounce Grace as a baby on my knee, it would kick out! Like I said some days I think that it is better and some days it is not. When I go to the cleavland clinic we will find out if my relfexes are still brisk, brisker or better! It is strange because you can get use to things and it seems like it is better but really you have made adjusments to them!

My face, chin area seems alot thinner and I feel a 'funny' tickle feeling there as well every so often.....who knows, the story continues!

Caroline, thanks for the input.

Very interesting in that I'm wondering if I went to the doctor just a little too early before the hyperflexia showed itself and I'm just starting to get exagerated reflexes. It seems like I'm nervous all the time due to anxiety over ALS plus constantly monitoring my own movements looking for abnormalities.

I've also found that occasionally I'm biting the back sides of my tongue which I'm praying is not indicative of brisk jaw reflex.

I also have tried the "clonus test" sitting on a chair with feet flat and raising heels. I don't shake uncontrollably but I do notice that when I move the pressure from the balls of my feet to the tips of my toes I get some cramping after about 10 seconds in the lower part of my calves...

How can myself test reflexes in legs and arms?

Thank you!

I think that it would be hard to test yourself because you dont know the scale or what would be brisk or absent? Just see a doctor.

GGKK,

As April said, see a doctor. That was the intent of my original post. With brisk reflexes you may notice something is up, but only a doctor can make the determination of hyperreflexia. Some individuals have naturally excitable reflexes, but in others its pathalogical.

Take care,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back