Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the extreme sensitivity to certain odors has something to do with the bulbar area that also controls sneezes, etc. It's not a question of smelling things that others can't ... it's the extreme over-reaction ... feeling that you can't breathe, even when the odors are very mild. Very strange symptom !

OK, I've the opposite problem. I just discovered I cannot smell Clorox bleach. At all! I can smell other things, but no chlorine. What's up with that? I literally stuck my nose down in the bottle of Clorox today, (it wasn't even one of the scented versions, just regular classic Clorox) and I could pick up a faint whiff and that was it. So, then I went and found my bleach pen, couldn't smell it, searched out all of the bleach based bathroom cleaners in the house, couldn't smell the chlorine in them. Anyone else?

So um... Rose... now that you've done your research, PLEASE stop sniffing chlorine fumes! Geez. ;-)

I wonder if the extreme sensitivity to certain odors has something to do with the bulbar area that also controls sneezes, etc. It's not a question of smelling things that others can't ... it's the extreme over-reaction ... feeling that you can't breathe, even when the odors are very mild. Very strange symptom !

YES .. this happened to me yesterday when Wanda was cleaning the shower. I left the room quickly , could not draw in air . It was scary - real scary. A couple of hits of Ventolin opened my breathing back up.

I've tried to cut out as many chemical based things in the home, nothing to do with hubby choking, but because I think the least chemicals around the better. Even use washing crystals and plant-based washing powder. I don't use perfume myself and don't spray cleaning products that I think might be harmful to him. I can only do my best. Can't do anything about the outside world though!

Love to all, Cherry.

I have a neuro appt today, so I'm going to ask her. There is nothing else that I've noticed is missing in the smell department. What I don't get is the cranial nerve responsible for smell (I thought) is located outside of the bulbar area..... and yeah, no more sniffing chemicals LOL

Rose, the ability to not smelling the odiferous smell of Chlorox is a plus in my book. Stop doing nose hits of those noxious fumes! It is just like if you have a bruise, you touch it and it hurts so you keep touching it to make sure it still hurts! Or...the guys will love this one, someone passes a horrid toot-you smell it and gag and then you do a huge nose hit to make sure it still stinks! What is up with that?! lol Web hasn' t reported any loss of smell yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back