Husbands Symptoms. Am I just being paranoid about ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melliegirl

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
My husband, 49, is experiencing the following symptoms. He’s not too concerned with the symptoms, but did ask the doc to look into it, so an emg/ncv has been scheduled.

I’m the one that’s nervous about possible ALS.

Do these symptoms sound like ALS or am I being paranoid?

Started with left hand, but within a week the right hand was affected.

- Both wrists burn/cramp when bent (typing, holding steering wheel, etc) or pulling on socks/shoes.

- Fingers on both hands feel achy like they’re jammed

- Both forearms burn between wrist and elbows (about 3-4 in above the wrists)

- Bilateral shoulder pain/cramping

- Weakness in both hands (more so on left hand)

- Weak fingers on both hands (different fingers on each hand)

He says he doesn't feel as strong in his hands and ankles as he used to.

I super appreciate input. I'm pretty worried.

Thx.

Typically, ALS starts in one limb, one spot at the time. I'm no doctor, but it sounds more like a pinched nerve.
When is his test?

Don't think the worse - ALS is rare.

Let us know how it goes.

Usually als starts distally in one hand or foot with weakness. It doesn't start body wide. Very rarely has pain in the beginning. Don't panic until you have to. It could be something as simple as a pinched nerve in his neck or back.

I'm not a doctor but if I was guessing, I would say it is something in the spine, which is no picnic but it is fixable. Good luck.

Thanks so much for your reply. The EMG/NCV was scheduled a couple of weeks ago for this Wednesday.

Thank you kindly for your reply. I'm super trying to put there fear aside. Your words are most helpful.

best of luck! hope its an easy fix!

Greetings

Hubby had emg/ncv and the only finding was nerve inflammation around his left elbow. Doc prescribed ibuprofen. My husband wasn't OK with this since his shoulders/hands/wrists still hurt, so PCM sent him to a hand ortho with an ulnar nerve lesion Dx.

Ortho said when he read the emg/ncv results and reviewed symptoms he was leaning towards a tunnel syndrome of some sort (can't recall which one), but upon physical examination ruled it out. Hand doc said he doesn't know what it is and the next step would be blood tests. I find it odd that there has been no imaging on his hands, etc.

The shoulder/wrist/hand pain is bilateral and husband says the pain level plateaued in July, so it's not getting any worse. Just bothersome.

I'm not so concerned with ALS, but now we're off to find out what it is. Arthritis, pinched nerve, cervical prob. We'll see.

Thanks again for your replies.

Good luck. I am sure it is something fixable or treatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back