Status
Not open for further replies.
The tongue is a huge muscle. The atrophy of the tongue takes away the speech slowly but surely. It has nothing to do with the saliva. The saliva problem is because the tongue cannot swallow as once before, thus the drooling.

Think about when you've had a cold or the flu and you were drooling on your pillow. Could you still talk normal? Yes, but nasal like?

Testing

I dunno if this is much help, but I currently only have bulbar symptoms. Mine started with choking sensations, difficulty swallowing at times, and then I noticed the speech thing. My tongue felt like it weighed a ton and I couldn't get my words out at times. This flucuated though. Most of the doctors said they couldn't notice anything and said it was all in my head. After a year of my symptoms I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis with 2 labs confirming the elevated titer for MG. I had a clean EMG and single fiber EMG which are supposed to be the best tests for the condition. My symptoms remain to effect the bulbar region only and are localized at this time. I'm not sure if you have had him tested for this, but maybe that's a route you can take. I have also have had occasional tongue twitches here and there but it was nothing persistent. Good Luck with everything and I will pray for you.
-Eddie

To Connie

Connie, thank you - sounds similar to my husband. May I ask you, what were his MRI/EMG/CT findings?How did they finally diagnose him, through what medium? Did he have blood tests for myasthenia as well? I am flailing a bit as doctors don't call back quickly, and alternately between hopeful flashes and complete despair, common I am sure to you.

Does your husband cough constantly when eating, and have to spit out saliva and mucous? My husband's speech is slurry only because he always has a mouth and throat full of mucous; when he gets rid of it, his voice sounds normal. Does this sound like your experiences?

Many thanks,
E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back