PALS
Country
US
State
Hawaii
City
Aiea
Hello everyone,

My husband and I are both Senior Airmen in the United States Air Force. We have been together for a little over two years and recently celebrated our first year of marriage. We are currently stationed on the lovely island of Oahu, we have no children and own a six month old doberman pinscher named Toorc who is currently training to be a service dog. My husband Joe is 22 and was officially diagnosed with ALS a few days before our anniversary.

I remember when we first started dating in Montana, he had shown me these random muscle twitches; at the time they were only in his left arm, slight and when he had it looked at due to shoulder pain, the doctors chocked it up to tendonitis. After 7 months of dating my husband eventually recieved orders and relocated to Hawaii, we spent another 6 months in a long distance relationship until he proposed to me while on a visit to see him. We found out that same day he was deploying and said heck with it and got married :) At that time, I had noticed the twitches were now body-wide and he was complaining that he couldn't do very much weightlifting with his left arm because it felt strained and would grind. But again, he was simply sent to physical therapy for tendonitis.

While my husband was away in the sandbox for 6 months, I was finally relocated to set up our new home in Hawaii. All in all, our 24 months of commitment was spent over 18 months apart. Easy enough thanks to him of course ;) When Joe returned from deployment I realized he was incredibly thin. He was always a gym addict, always fit, healthy and in incredible shape. So this new sight was very alarming to me. He still complained about his shoulder only this time, he also showed me how he couldn't extend the fingers on his left hand out all the way. I pushed for him to be seen again.

The push was enough for his PCM to send him to the Tripler Army Medical Center where they performed various tests, poking and shocking and who knows what else. During these tests, I was not aware of the fact ALS was even a consideration the neruologists had because Joe had joked about it being lyme disease. When my husband was diagnosed I didn't find out until a couple weeks later and only by accident. He didn't want to tell me until it was official because he didn't want to scare me... regardless, from that point on I went with him to every appointment thereafter.

After 2 years of the twitching and muscle loss, my husband now has lost some mobility of his left hand and arm. He has the muscle spasms everywhere which has now started spreading to his abdomen. His shoulders are very bony now and his face is even slimming. He is unable to run and sometimes even walk without stumbling or tripping on the smallest of cracks. if holding things in his left hand, he will drop it within a few seconds due to the trembling. He is going through the process of being medically retired now and can no longer arm up as a Security Forces member.

But despite this cruel twist of fate, we both remain very positive. we still live life the way we always have, happy, alive and madly in love. He is my best friend and my absolute soul mate. I am scared to lose him... but for now, he is here with me. Walking. Talking. Hoping. Alive. And I will love Love LOVE him relentlessly until the day I die.

I am sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosed condition. There are a lot of wonderful people here and a lot of support. If you have any questions please ask.

Sharly,

I am very sorry about your husband. I also am in shock because at 22, I find he's way too young for having been diagnosed with this disease.

Have you guys sought for a second or even a third opinion by another Neurologist?
You don't mention anything about Bulbar problems such as slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, drooling, etc.
You only mention limbs problems. Be mindful that at early stages, ALS with limb symptoms could also be something else such as CIDP, MMN, IBM, etc., being some of those treatable.

Anyway, I admire your for standing up for him in these difficult times.

Here in the forums you will find lots of information, by people who have been affected by MND as well as their caregivers, also you will find lots of support, and friendship.

Take care.

NH

Cindy,

My husband and I both just came to Hawaii from great falls. Thank you for your response :)

Aloha no! Hawai is my home! I would also check at Queens Hospital because I believe they have a small ALS clinic. Good luck, it sounds like my slow progression and science is moving rapidly. We're here to help both you and your husband deal with all this will bring you. I know there are other ALS patients in Hawaii, and there may even be a support group in Honolulu.
Again we're here to help you,
Holly

sorry to hear about your husband and his deployment to the sand box (i assume middle east) if so when and how many times may i recommend looking up "institute for ethnomedicine.com" they have some very interesting articels about cyanobacteria in the deserts of the middle east and the dod response to it, plus several others

Aloha Hjlindley :)

I will definitely look into Queens. I heard the same thing about them the other day that made me want to check into them as well. I know my husband started getting the muscle twitches back in the spring of 2011. It wasn't until the middle of his deployment that he would get cramps and realized that he couldn't extend his fingers all the way in his left hand. Recently he has been cramping a lot more, last night he shot out of bed in a panic because his calf cramped in a painful way, something new to add to our daily logs. Sometimes I notice things about him that I swear weren't like the way they were the day before. I hope his progression is slow... he doesn't seem to have foot drop or anything. his gait is a little awkward but he doesn't seem to have trouble walking other than the usual stumbles. He is still going to physical therapy as the way he sees it: if his muscles are really going to deteriorate then he might as well make them work for it.

Sharly,

I responded to your first post about 15-20 min. after you posted it but it triggered "Moderation" and, it has yet to show up.

I'm sorry nighthawk :(

I haven't seen it pop up either. I also have no idea what Moderation means for a forum lol

"Moderation" is an Anti-S*P*A*M* software designed with the solely purpose to catch posts that might be originated by s*p*a*m*m*e*r*s* so they do not disrupt the operation the forum.
The thing is that ours has a very broad scope and even medical terminology will trigger it.

NH

Oh I see,

I'm on a doberman forum and have never seen that. I didn't have problems posting my (rediculously long, now that I re-read it) post. Regardless, it's very nice to meet you.

By the way, you said that your husband had muscle twitches all over his body and that seemed strange to me as ALS very rarely presents as a widespread twitching all over your body.
It usually twitches in a limb in the body that has already shown signals of weakness.

NH

My husband was diagnosed on Dec.4 2012. His disease is moving pretty rapidly. I am praying your young husband's disease will be very slow progressing and that you will have many happy years together. My husband and I have been married 49 years but seems as though it was only yesterday. Love and prayers to you both.

By the way, you said that your husband had muscle twitches all over his body and that seemed strange to me as ALS very rarely presents as a widespread twitching all over your body.
It usually twitches in a limb in the body that has already shown signals of weakness.

NH

Hi all,
Just a comment about twitches (fasciculations). I started them one day after mowing the lawn, just all the sudden, everywhere, all over my body. I had foot drop and some heaviness when climbing stairs, but that was all. From then on I had twitches all over, most of the time. I rarely have them in my legs now that they are pretty useless, and they have quieted down elsewhere too. I guess we are just all very different.

So sorry about your husband. Too young. What is our military doing to the troops that ALS is so dominate among them?

NightHawk,

The twitching initially started in his left arm along with shoulder pain. 2 years had passed since then and he now has constant muscle twitching everywhere on his body. his thighs, his arms, his back.. he said that every now and then he can start to feel his abdomen ripple which was pretty much the only place that hadn't started twitching. His left arm is the most obvious place this whole thing started from as he now cannot extend his fingers or do something as simple as point or thumbs up. He still has a great range of motion in that arm, however it feels "strained" to him. It is also a good 4-5cm smaller than his right arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back