Status
Not open for further replies.
Husband diagnosed 11/07

Hi Linda,
My name is Pam. My husband was diagnosed in 9/07 with possible ALS by our local neurologist. He was referred to 2 more neurologist before getting a final diagnosis on 11/05/07. I can so much relate to all of your questions and worries. We have been married 26 years. This is my first time writing in here. But I do spend a lot of time reading others comments. I am tring to read a lot of info from MDA that was sent to me also. THis is al sooooo overwhelming and I don't know where to start.

Hi Pam. Welcome but sorry you have to be here. Feel free to vent share or ask any questions.
AL.

Pamela, just read your post. My heart goes out to your family! Prayers your way. Fell free to ask questions, share emotions, prayers, whatever, just don't be shy! You'll get used to the forum, and its wonderful members. Have a blessed Thanksgiving, as you can see mine is going to be kinda low key. My son already called me this morning, and he wants me there early enough to where we will visit my son's grave, and "take him a small plate," and pray. We are going to do this before we eat. Wow! these holidays! What can I say?

Irma

Hi Pam,
I am so sorry for your husband's diagnosis. It most certainly can be overwhelming, especially at first, as you are still in shock. How is your husband handling the diagnosis? Are his symptoms disabling at this time? I know I spent the first 4 to 6 weeks in a state of shock. I am not prone to crying, but found myself crying out of nowhere those first few weeks. It was like my emotions had a life of their own! Then I realized how many things I had to figure out, take care of, and deal with! From disability, to insurance, to obtaining assistive devices, and on and on. So to keep a small portion of my sanity intact, I try to focus on the most immediate need, and deal with the other stuff when I can.

Do you and your husband have any children? How about family and friends that will be willing to help? This forum has been a great help to me. Everyone here is so understanding and helpful. I hope that you find it to be a help and support also. Pam, you and your husband are in my prayers. Linda

Hey Pam!

So sorry your hubby was diagnosed with ALS! You will find a lot of support here! Just take one thing at a time as it comes up or you will freak yourself out. (Although you will need to plan ahead financially.)

It will take a while for you both to get over the shock.

Good luck and take care!

Gina and Pam:

Sorry to hear about your situations. Yes, life can be sad sometimes, but it's also much about attitude. I know I often need help with a pessimistic attitude that is always circling around my persona.

God does provide, however, and He gives us the strength to endure.

Hi Linda

Hi Linda,

I just recently joined myself. I don't have ALS, but lost my mother and sister. My sister was 49, her son was 12. I remember asking her if she was angry. She said it is in God's hand, I wish I could watch my son grow up, but God must have a reason that I can't. She was not religious but she put her trust in God. She said she would take every day that she had left and enjoy them.

There are people out there who care and know what you are going thru hopefully it will help thru this horrible disease.

Give yourself a big hug.

I believe that every time we do something for our loved one we are hugging them and showing them we love them dearly. It may not be the way it used to be like before, holding each other is not always just with ones arms, a hug can be given by just taking care of all their needs. Every time I help feed my husband it is a hug, everytime I dress him, it is a hug. We are always hugging it is just not the same way sometimes. I hug my husband as much as I can, we hug with our hearts to now. He cannot use his arms so my hugs that are given back are hugs from the heart. This illness is devastating and we as care givers and wives are doing our best.

hope.

What a great way to look at it. I like that viewpoint. thanks for sharing. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back