Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
There are hummingbirds in my garden. My 33 month old grandson Jacob helped me make the sugar water and we hung up some feeders on Tuesday. Today I sat outside on a bench and watched the hummingbirds. G-d gives us ALS and he gives us grandchildren and hummingbirds. I try to keep this in perspective when we are having hard days. There is still beauty in the world and sometimes it is the small things that can still give us joy. A good day is a day when my PALS has a good day. A good moment is when I see a hummingbird or when Jacob says "I love you Nana" or when my PALS has an easy time swallowing. We all need to look for those good moments and take a minute to be thankful for all the good things. We are all so caught up with ALS that sometimes we forget about the hummingbirds.

Yes! We too love our NJ hummingbirds that come early in the Spring scouting for our feeders and then take up camp for the entire summer, early fall. I have one feeder right by where my husband sits on his bipap and he watches them all day! They are such a delight and they even come up to our glass door and look in at him. They truly are a gift from God and a glimpse of what heaven will be someday.

Hope you get lots of good times watching your hummingbirds with your precious grandson. We have a grandson 5 yrs. and a granddaughter 3 yrs. that my husband has called her "kitten" since birth. She loves it! She loves to help with his care giving and I must say is very good at it. Both grandchildren take rides sitting on Pop Pop's lap when he takes a power ride on his wheelchair.

I take lots and lots of pictures of everything!

Patty:)

Thanks for sharing the good moments...we had some good moments today. Took my husband to Lake George..my son rode on his lap in his wheelchair .....all smiles. That was a good moment. I try to keep the mental picture in my mind of the good moments...they are so precious. KR

It is very ironic that I would read a post about hummingbirds. I was on holidays this week and rented a cottage to bring my father to for the week. Unfortunatly he was not well enough to stay we only spent one night. In the morning we got up and lied on the pull out couch watching the hummingbirds at the feeder. A few days later I went back to the cottage in the evening and the bird was back so I took a few pictures to always remember that special moment. I guess that these are the times that we will cherish for many years to follow!
Wendy

I like to sit on the patio and watch the birds in our feeders. We only have one hummingbird but also have one bluebird. Lots of Blue Jays but just this one bluebird. I don't ever recall seeing one in southern Ontario before. I remember a cartoon movie from my childhood with brer rabbit and Uncle Remus and darned if I can remember the name but I remember a song about bluebirds on my shoulder. We found a news article about a resurgence of these birds coming back to this area. Things like that could be a sign of hope for us all. Bluebirds not being seen for 40-50 years and I have one in my feeder. Makes me wonder.

AL.

This month, we have had hummingbirds feeding right outside the kitchen window for the first time ever ... we have some tall flowers planted there, and it has been a joy to watch the wee things, as they're right outside the screen.

Also, about 10 years ago, my husband and I planted a jacaranda tree which should bloom spectacularly in June here in so. cal., and it has not had a flower in all those years although it's grown much higher than the house. I said something to my husband a few weeks ago like, "I hope that blankety-blank tree blooms before I die." (Actually, I've said that to him every year since we planted it! :)) Later I went into the garden, and saw purple petals all over the path. Looked way up, and the whole top of the tree was in bloom! I hadn't looked that far up before, I guess.

I do take things as omens ... little signs that the universe is on our side!
BethU

Al- The movie is called 'Song of the South'.

This thread is very helpful to me. It is very important, when facing what we are facing, to remember to be grateful for the blessings in life, and the things that bring us joy.

I just got back from a week at the beach, and I had so much fun watching the little kids playing (and chasing the seagulls).

On New Years' Day I go to a church meeting and one of the things we do is to pick a word to keep in mind during the year. The word that popped into my mind at the beginning of this year was 'Gratitude'. As the year has progressed, I have started seeing doctors and have been moving down the path toward being diagnosed with ALS. Given how the year has been playing out, there are times when the choice of this word seems a bit ironic.

But the more I think of it, this word is very important to keep in mind. Even with the bad things that are happening in my life, there is much to be grateful for, and I can choose to focus my mind on the blessings that have been given to me.

John

Right. Now I remember. I'll have to see if they have it on DVD. Thanks.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back