Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
About two years after receiving his ALS diagnosis, my dad started to experience excessive saliva. He had to clear his throat through coughing because it was difficult for him to spit.

After trying Nuedexta, Amitriptyline, and several other prescription drugs, we found Glycopyrrolate to be by far the most effective for my dad.

(My dad also experienced some saliva relief with medical marijuana)

Please note that one of the side effects of Glycopyrrolate may have been distended bladder. My dad had trouble urinating after he started taking Glycopyrrolate. But this could have been caused by something else since my dad's history included years of bladder and prostate issues.

After receiving a catheter, his bladder immediately returned to normal function and the Glycopyrrolate continued to be used with great effect.

Before we started the Glycopyrrolate, my dad found relief by us firmly drumming on his back to help the saliva go to the front of his mouth. Drumming his back while he leaned forward helped the most.

It also helped my dad to sleep upright. The upright angle helped prevent the saliva from pooling.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!! Benadryl is also helpful to decrease secretions. At least, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back