08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
Hi everyone,

It seems my hubby who has had a fairly slow progression is starting to speed up. About a month ago he started having occasional trouble getting up out of chairs by himself. This has been becoming more frequent. A few times he has also ended up on the floor & couldn't get up.

Then a few weeks ago he was out in the garage & I didn't know it. His left leg gave out on him & down he went. He crawled as best he could on the cold & dirty garage floor over to the door to the house. Thank God I happened to hear him tap on the door, as he can't even knock on it, much less pound on it.

Then tonight we were sitting at the kitchen table having dinner, and he tried to adjust his chair. Well, he slid right off of it & bam, down on the floor, hitting his head. I couldn't get him up by myself, but thankfully my daughter was able to. Thank God he was OK.

I HATE this damn disease!:evil:

I told him that he has to keep his cell phone on his person at all times, as I do too. Even when we are both home.

We also had PT come out to the house and show me some techniques to help get him up when he falls. They also provided us with a gait belt. The problem is that I just do not have the strength to get him up by myself.

Oh, Lord! As I was typing this, there was this horrible thud upstairs. It was my daughter. She slipped & was fine. My nerves are shot. I think I need to start a valium regimen. LOL :-?

fall

My husband fell tonight as well.He was trying to go from his powerchair to his lift chair.He went down like a ton of bricks! His head just missed the glass door behind him.I can't relax because what seems like a good day can change in a second.I feel like a am afraid to leave even to go to the store because he could really get hurt and even if I was gone for a short while it could make a difference.I am a prisoner in my own home ! I agree this is an awful disease.:cry:

My heart goes to you!

Seems like it is possibly time for a walker or wheelchair!
Sooner or later he is going to have a nasty fall that will really do some damage.

Can you convince him to be proactive and start using one of those helpful items?

PLEASE PLEASE do and be proactive, It seems to me that every time Freddie took a fall and hit his head, it just sped up the damn progression. I think that you may need to look into some aides as joel mentioned. This is so important, yes Freddie will plateau and then all of a sudden, things will just speed up............I really like the plateaus best.....I wish you all the best!
netty

I can only echo what's already been said. Every time my Dad has fallen he has hit his head- after a huge gash in his head and ending up in A & E finally he agreed to use a stick and rails going up in several places. The physiotherapist and OT have been amazingly helpful- take all the help and advice you can.

We always go out in the garden with him now.

I found the falls more distressing than anything else it really did my head in.

Really my heart really goes out...
Donna

hi linda

sorry to hear about your husband,i hope his falls did not hurt him too badly.
i sent you both a hug in the pm this morning but heres another one.
(((((( HUGS ))))))
you are both in my thoughts and prayers:)

Jimmy fell Monday night...and broke two ribs. He is in a lot of pain.
Please convince hubby to use a walking aid. He doe not need injuries. My prayers go out to you.
Jimmy has a walking stick but should probably use something more substantial. He also was becoming dehydrated...not drinking enough fluids. On a good note ? I moved Mom to assisted living yesterday! Hurrah!
Jimmy's sister

I suggest getting him a life line that can be worn as a bracelet or necklace. My dad wore one while he lived with us and used it one morning when he fell getting out of bed and actually got caught in the side rails. We heard the person on the speaker asking him if he needed an ambulance so we jumped out of bed and were able to get him up ok. But if no one was home and he didn't have the life line he would have been trapped.

I STARTED FALLING AS WELL AND NOW I AM AFRAID TO WALK.
I BROKE MY TAIL BONE:cry:THAT HURTS
I ALSO STARTED WITH CHILL LIKE SHAKES MOSTLY AT NIGHT. I AM NOT COLD OR FEVERISH . I WONDER WHATS THAT ABOUT.

PAT

Pat ... I was getting those chill-like shakes in the middle of the night, too. I'd wake up shivering like crazy, and crank up the electric blanket till it stopped. I don't think it had anything to do with the temperature of the room, however. It just stopped when it wanted to stop.

During a different period, I'd wake up with goosebumps running up and down my body. That hasn't happened for a while, either.

This stupid disease is soooooooooo strange.

Linda, I'm sorry to read this, its got to be hard on both of you! ... I like Rich's idea of the life line device. Good luck to you both. ((hugs))!

I know this is hard. When Brian started falling, my stomach would clinch up any time he started to take a step, I just knew the next fall would be worse. He broke his arm on his last bad fall and I think he finally realized, he just had to start using some type of assistance. His doctor mentioned keeping his cell on him at all times, I also call in and check on him every hour or so if he's alone. He knows if I don't get an answer, the neighbor will be over lickety split.

Just wanted to add more HUGS.

Pat ... I missed the part about the tail bone. That's got to be so painful.

These falls are so scary. That's the last thing you need on top of ALS ... broken bones and injuries.

Everybody: BE CAREFUL!

(And Linda ... I think caregivers need meds as much (or more) than PALS. How all you angels do it, I'll never know!)

Getting a Lifeline is much better than a cell as you can wear it in the shower, don't have to hold it or try and get it out of a pocket. We paid an up front fee to get it started and then monthly payments for the use of it. We accidently set it off once when I was helping put a shirt over my husbands head not knowing I had and suddenly this voice inquires if he needs help we both jumped out of our skins but had a good laugh and were very happy for the fast responce.

It helped ease some of my fear when I had to leave my husband alone to pick up kids.

Cheryl

Cheryl ... that's very helpful. Thanks for posting that.

I'm looking for some kind of "alert" thingy to wear, and there seem to be so many, I don't know what to choose. I will check out Lifeline.

What I want is to make sure the operators know I can't talk, and also that they will give that information to any responders they send. My speech would surely confuse them if they thought I was drunk, or had had a stroke. The best I've been able to get so far is someone who promises the operators will only ask yes/no questions, but that may not work, either, as I have to use head nods or shaking "no" for people to understand my yes/no. Whatta pain.

I've been fussing with this for a month. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back