Status
Not open for further replies.
O2 of course is not to be given,
Tillie

I'm a little confused by this. We didn't give Krissy O2 routinely, but it was recommended when she was running low on O2 sat.

Barbie, his BP is better than mine. Even the smallest stressor can cause an increase in BP. Even different nurses will get different numbers. Don't get too stressed about the numbers.

Just make it to the appointment tomorrow. Good luck.

Mike, I would imagine that Krissy received oxygen when palliative?

The problem with giving oxygen to PALS is that they breathe even less deeply, and therefore exhale less deeply and build up even more CO2. The build up of CO2 is the far higher threat to our PALS than is low oxygen.

Now if the PALS is not at the end stages, this build up could head them that way!

If the PALS is in the end stages and has oxygen hunger and is simply being kept comfortable, then we aren't concerned about the CO2 build up anymore.

Does that make sense?

Hey Barbie, it is as I thought, he is ready for the process to take its course. His B/P isn't bad, although the lower number is a bit high. Mike you are correct that stress can make B/P to increase, but that is usually the systolic, or upper number. The diastolic, or lower number is less labile so it is the one that I am most impressed by. Anything over 100 is high but his is not crazy high. My husband 's diastolic B/P is consistently high, but at this point we have chosen not to do anything about it.

We do not give O2 to people who have a high CO2 level, as their body has become use to it, and if you give them higher O2 it actually depresses their drive to breath. So we are extremely careful about giving 02 to someone with emphysema, or COPD.

Wow what a couple of dAys we have had! I am at the hospital as I type after quite the adventure yesterday. Waiting for the doc and using my phone so sorry for the type and if I cut this short. Yesterday took husband in to his new doc and he spent 20 min convincing him that if he didn't go them things would get grim and. His jeart could fatigue and give out. Once my Ken doll agreed we decided he should go to the bigger hospital I'm Orlando instead of our local one. The local one. But of course our doc didn't have pro ledges so we had to go to the ER...m
Omg! Got there at 3, got into an exam room at 7, got admited at 11, got to his room at 1:30.
On the good I feel like this hospital is very professional and everyone seems to really like the jobs and be knowledge able about ALS . No phone service in ER so my kids were worried sick. Poor ken doll spent the whole day on. His chair and no decent nap and nothing really to eat. He was extre weak and tired! He was consistently over115 and would bounce from 126 down

Wow... what a night! Hope things are better in the light of the day. Thinking of you both...

Jim

Can't remember all his stats but o2 was around 95-97, reap rate was 19-23 and bp was 130:100. Of course that constant monitoring is fun to watch all nite. Around 11 they finally got an IV in him and gave him fluids. And it was like a magic elixir! He came down to 105-110 and bp also. So the decision is he was dehydrated--most likely from a new med he started taking More later

Oh Barbie. I am sorry you guys are dealing with this but thankful he is in the right place. Hope he is better fast

Mike, I would imagine that Krissy received oxygen when palliative? The problem with giving oxygen to PALS is that they breathe even less deeply, and therefore exhale less deeply and build up even more CO2. The build up of CO2 is the far higher threat to our PALS than is low oxygen. Now if the PALS is not at the end stages, this build up could head them that way! If the PALS is in the end stages and has oxygen hunger and is simply being kept comfortable, then we aren't concerned about the CO2 build up anymore. Does that make sense? Tillie

Yep. That's what we did.

BARBIE: I'm so glad you finally got a room. Sounds horrible, though, how long you had to wait!

So we are in a nice big private room and I have a recliner to sleep in iot was ok hr is down to 98 this morning. A pt came by and he offered to teach me how to use a hoyer lift whichis very exciting And I think they are doing a swallow test also and going to weigh him on a different bed. Also had cheat X-ray last nite looked ok but going to do another to day

Thinking of you Barbie. Hospitals are exhausting.
Trina

Wow what an adventure Barbie.

I'm so glad you have him there, I'm sure you are so relieved that there was something wrong as you knew, but dehydration is far easier to deal with and fix than other pneumonia type things we were concerned about at first.

I hope you are sleeping well enough, please keep us posted. hugs

The diastolic (101) is higher than expected. Does he have a history of an enlarged heart? Is he on BP meds?
Agree if he won't go to doc (didn't you say you have one who comes to you?) at least d/c new med...remeasure several times daily. May take days to wash out of system.

Sorry, posts crossed -- did not see he is getting more care. All the best!

the old, 'there's now several pages of posts in a thread' trick eh Laurie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back