Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
I am trying to use the Hoyer lift to lift Frank from wheelchair to bed but am finding it almost impossible to move the lift on the carpet even though we have very low pile, commercial carpet in the bedroom. I was thinking of buying several of those plastic pads that you typically put under office chairs on the carpeted floor in the bedroom to hopefully make it easier to move the lift. Has anyone tried this or have any other suggestions?

Sharon

I had no trouble on carpet but my Chris was skin and bone weighing around 50kg

You may need to find a single large mat as I wonder if the hoyer will have trouble with pushing one aside when reaching joins?

We never had a problem with our electric Hoyer on our carpets.

Are the brakes engaged?

Soft plastic will not help much.

I had problems with tall rolling stools at my drawing table. Plastic (or linoleum) on top of carpet did not help much. so I put plywood on top of my carpet, and put vinyl looring on top of that. Works better.

Instead of a long roll of plastic hallway cover, I used a 12' x 12' piece of vinyl flooring so I could custom fit, cutting it with heavy scissors. See the instructional video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9S7z_8QWc0

Last edited:
Our carpet was not really an issue with a "running start." Are the tires clean? Are the connections oiled? Is there rust?

I've seen people caution against the chair mats, including my pcp. I don't have a reason, but the warnings have been pretty consistent...

I would imagine a smooth plastic surface could cause caster spin for the lift, just as would happen with a wheelchair.

I tried the chair mats and gave up pretty quickly. It just wasn't any easier and I kept running the wheels off the edge.

We also have low pile commercial carpet, and they hoyer on it is a pain in the you know what. I think in my case it's Matt's weight--still over 200lbs. Thankfully we have a ceiling lift at home. That carpet is coming out anyway--after three years I'm done trying to keep it clean. The LVT is in the garage waiting on me to get on with having it installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back