Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a portable lift standing by. It's electric with battery back-up. We purchased it privately because I thought the manual lift totally inappropriate in dealing with ALS. We're using a transfer board at present and will as long as its safe to do so. I really dread the prospect of being placed in one of the slings and moved. I will tolerate it only for very short distance directly from one to another. (Bed to PWC, bed to rolling shower chair etc) there will be NO moving from one room to another while in the sling, for me.

FYI -

-When they deliver the lift, they tell you that you should not use it unless there are 2 people! Fat chance that there will be 2 people there everytime you need to use it!
-You aren't supposed to roll your PALS in the lift, you are supposed to transfer them to a transport chair then lift them again to put them in the bed. Right! I rolled Terry from the den, down a 16 ft. hallway and into the bedroom. It was much better then making two transfers.
-You aren't supposed to use it to lift a person off of the ground. It works, why not? I could have him up and off of the floor in a matter of minutes versus a 20 to 30 minute wait for an EMT.

I learned to use the lift by watching a YouTube video and getting in it myself. By the time we needed it, I was completely comfortable with it and knew what it could and couldn't do.

Practice is essential!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back