Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
Has anyone used a Hoyer lift sling to standing position?.

We have a Hoyer lift, but sling is designed for sitting position.

I am 280 pounds, and can "walk" with walker, but on days when caregiver is not here, my wife is not strong enough to get standing from shower chair. Once I am up, I can "shuffle to recliner".

I hate to use Hoyer to transfer to recliner to stand up to get dressed, but don't want to hurt wife's back.

Any suggestions?

My wife's legs went from weak to useless in just a few weeks. I was transferring her without the Hoyer. Then one day, we both fell to the floor and I stayed down with her to support her head alignment. I had to call 911 to have EMT's pick us off the floor.

That's my way of saying don't try to do it without the Hoyer.

Could you attach a handle to the Hoyer's arm and come to a standing position by holding on to the arm while dear wife operates the lift's motor?

Depending on how much strength you have, you could try hanging the sling using higher loops in back than in front to accomplish that (forming an angle) but try it when your caregiver is around!

Also, don't know if you can lock your rollator and use the handles for leverage when they are raised to the highest height? You can also attach exercise tubing or a rope.

Mike;

Your experience with falling to the floor happened to us this am. We have a leather sleeper/lift chair and we lift it to the highest position, place a towel in the chair and then the urinal. We then lower the lift chair, she does her business then we lift and do the clothing pull up.

This has been working but the towel against leather was too slippery. We slid to the floor gently and with great effort
I was able to put her in her chair.

The Hoyer and the U Sling is what we will be using from this point on.

Do you have any advice?

Any thing we can do to ease the drag on the Hoyer across carpet. Someone suggested this clear plastic runner stuff.

Make sure the wheels of the lift are clean, Ernie; oil if you need to; clean, vacuum and possibly ScotchGuard the carpet, practice makes perfect. You will pick up speed as you adapt to the center of gravity.

I eyed the runner stuff but at the end of the day, you need traction as much as leverage. But we were renting so you have more freedom to try things that might affect the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back