Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
ca
City
portola valley
We need to buy a lift and would like any suggestions on what the best kind to buy would be? I was told the mo lift was best but was hoping I could find something a little lighter. Thanks, Bev

We always used Hoyer Lifts in the nursing homes I worked in. The thing with lifts to consider is assuring you get the right size sling and that you are trained to use it properly--otherwise the PAL can fall out or get injured with them.

Some install tracks in their ceilings for lifts.

With a lift, assuming your PAL has medicare, medicare will pay 80% if it's deemed medically necessary. After a certain number of payments on a rental, the company will allow you to purchase the unit.

Without medicare, lifts start at about $400---and go up to over 1k for the electronic ones. I'm sure others will be along with pros and cons of the various types.

First step is to document the need with your physician. And, to be sure you make the purchase from a medicare approved vendor.

Since weight is a criterion, you might look at the Advance (Hoyer), LikoLight and Molift Smart. But I think the Molift is the lightest of these. If you are looking for portability, the Diana Mini (Horcher) is another option. It would help to know why weight per se is a concern. The travel lifts separate into multiple parts for loading into a car, etc. There are also many threads on lifts over at the Rutgers SCI forum (the consensus there is avoiding Hoyer other than the Advance and having hit my head several times on a Hoyer, I can understand why). The MaxiTwin is another option, but the more compact version of it is not sold in the US.
Almost all the lifts have videos on YouTube -- something to check out.

I would sugest a hoyer lift, thats what I have had the best luck transfering patients with. It also gives you alot more options where you can use it then one whith a built in track. A little tip when you start looking into them is to make sure the hooks whee the sling hooks on doesn't move. Sometime they make them movable and they don't stay in one place, i find its a lot harder to deal with.

Manda

We had the mo lift smart. It worked great for me. Basically it could be folded up to make it very compact which allowed us to take it for trips. It works off a battery and I coud get lots of use with a fully charged battery. It also beeped if the battery ran low. I rarely had to lift the lift. Even when it's folded you can roll it.

I have a molift. It is easier to lift, put in trunk, and bring on trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back